Selling woodworking tools on ebay - any pointers...

Page 5 of 5

I don't plan to put on a reserve or high starting bid but(!) some of the items I just can't part with for "nothing." Can I withdraw an item if the bidding is too low?

You most certainly can. You must cancel all bids first though. Reasons commonly given are 'item is no longer for sale' or 'item was lost or broken'. It is a bad practice but it happens all the time and it is bending the rules. I think most sellers that cancel their auction because the bids aren't high enough are stupid, as most bids come in on the last minute. Put a reserve on it if you need to.
Todd L

UnisawA100 said it best, but here goes anyway:
One picture is free second and more are about 15 cents each. Supersize and it costs some more again. Gallery picture (the one you see on the side of the description list) add another 25 cents. Take a good picture or two and make sure you use a gallery option to we can see what you are selling without drilling down to your listing page.
Ebay offers a good posting process. Unless you have a tone of pictures that you do not want to pay extra for, you don't need to post to a separate site.
You have three options for listing. Start at a low price to keep your listing fee low and hope the value of your items works for you in the listing process. If you have a good product it should sell. That is unless your cousin Ralph wound up in the picture and no one has a clue what you're selling (i.e. bad description and photo). With this option you sell the item for the highest bid.
Second and third options are reserve price and start with what your minimum starting bid shoudl be. Lot of discussion here about reserve price being public or not. Won't get into it, but reserve will cost you a buck or two depending upon the reserve price. Sell the item, your reserve price fee is waived. Don't sell, pay the listing fee and reserve fee. Start minimum acceptable bid option, you pay for the higher listing fee.
Do what others have said, start with some small stuff and get your feet wet. It's also easier to ship the small stuff in the beginning than the larger stuff. Make sure you know the shipping weight (including the box and packaging material) before you list so people know what the heck it will cost to ship to their place. Use the shipping calculator if you can. Also, make sure you ship the same or next day as it sells. Good service means good (positive) feedback. You need those!
Allyn
Allyn Vaughn wrote:

Dittoing what Allyn said and if I may?...
What I do is list the weight (estimated with packaging) and let people know it's coming from zip code XXXXX and they can go to the USPS site and do the calcs. Nothing worse than having to do shipping calcs for drive-bys.
Of course I could also get off my dead ass and look into the eBay calculated shipping thing but I haven't.
Also, note in the description if a packing charge is being charged (sometimes this isn't just another way to make a buck). People are more confident of you as a seller if you list up front what it is you are charging for. Nothing worse than paying $4 for something and getting hit with a $10 "extra" (nose picking charge).

I don't do PayPal so I wait, they wait and we wait some more if a check is used.

Ditto.
A'yup.
UA100
Unisaw A100 wrote:

I do the same. I still get requests for shipping costs, sometimes without sufficient information.

A line from my terms:
PACKING AND HANDLING: Is included in the opening bid.
Another line:
SHIPPING: Shipping fees by size and weight. UPS may incur additional fees (gas $)
The opening bid covers everything but postage.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio

that had to be shipped motor freight. I specifically said I would deliver to the "carrier of YOUR choice - please don't ask me to compare freight rates". I still had several people ask me for shipping charges and one guy emailed me twice after the auction ended asking for freight rates when he wasn't even the winning bidder.
"Unisaw A100" wrote::

Care to elaborate on that? I am always interested in hearing the reasons for not using PayPal. That is to say, I've heard some which are, um, bustagut entertaining, but that is not to say there *isn't* a good reason for not using PayPal. I just haven't heard it yet.
/ / / <-- You know what this is, right? :-)
-Doug in Utah
Same here. I've seen the anti Paypal propaganda and heard all kinds of myths about people getting taken for thousands of dollars but in the years I've had a Paypal account I've never had anything but success with it.
Granted I don't use it much but for both ease of use in selling and buying, it's served me pretty well at a pretty minimum cost.
John Emmons

On Mon, 31 May 2004 20:02:49 GMT, "John Emmons"

The downside is simply the cost...for the folks who are power users.
Its really convenient for the buyer.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !
On Mon, 31 May 2004 13:31:35 -0600, "bole2cant"

How about PayPal charges the seller high fees?
I used to do PayPal, but dropped it with they started killing me with fees.
Barry
The fees on my commercial account haven't changed since I opened it. And it allows me to accept credit cards. If paying 2 or 3 percent for that convenience is too much, why not raise the price of the item that much? You're paying for convenience. Where else can you get a service that will do what Paypal does for less money? That gives the same relative level of service?
John

On Mon, 31 May 2004 21:11:13 GMT, "John Emmons"

It's an auction, I can't raise the price. <G> If I add the 2.9% + $0.30 to eBay's fees, things get a bit expensive.

I don't need the service. I ask bidders to mail money orders, and accept checks for smaller items from bidders with feedback of +10 or better.
Barry
On Mon, 31 May 2004 21:11:13 GMT, "John Emmons"

I won't buy anything that I can't pay for with PayPal.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !
bole2cant wrote:

I dunno.
That good enough?
UA100

Sure. Well, at least it's better than one who said she wouldn't use it because you had to give them your bank account number, and she wasn't going to do THAT. <g>
-- -Doug in Utah

If your tools are large you might consider including them in a local auction that is well advertised as having tools. It's my experience that local auctions bring higher prices for large tools, sometime more than the identical tools sells for new. Something about the competitive auction atmosphere and bidders can actually see and touch the tools as opposed to a picture and hoping for the best. Course, you also have to pay the auctioneer. Not sure what the percentage is for your area but might be worth it. Also, the whole process would likely be easier. Everything sold at one time, no people coming to your house, etc. Good Luck, Mike in Arkansas
JayJay wrote:

Don't you just love input with so much information.
UA100
posted:

I dunno.... -;)

Take one good picture...post it...tell the folks that you can send more pictures by email if they need them.
Take the long time frame...to get the most bidders.
Don't forget to add your time, gas, containers and actual shipping cost to send the item. Call it Shipping & Handling.
Put in a disclaimer...'no refunds whatsoever. All items are as is...no warranty given or implied. Bid at your own risk'.
I've never sold any tools on Ebay...but I think I'd put a disclaimer in there also about your liability when they use the tool. For example, if the tool breaks and injures someone...even months later...you don't wanna be held responsible. A good example would be a RotoZip tool...which were found to have safety defects.
If you decide to take checks, make sure they clear the ORIGINATING bank before you ship the item. Don't take a check...and issue a refund...for MORE than the selling price. This has been a big scam lately...and some people actually fall for it.
Sign up for PayPal. It makes it a lot easier on the buyer....and offers a bit more security for them. If you have a high priced item for sale, people will be leery to bid on yer item...since you have no history with Ebay.
If you have a very large item (lathe, table saw, punch press, etc.) there are companies that will come and pick those items up and ship them for you.

Then put in a reserve. Your 'nothing' may equal somebody's 'something'...and you'll be pissed at yourself...or worse, you'll back out of the transaction.

Officially? No. But...
When the auction is over, keep the addresses of the bidders...for a mailing list in the future.
Good luck.
One quick Ebay story...
I once sold an item on Ebay...an item where like kind had been selling for about $50. I posted one picture. I immediately got about 25 emails...requesting more pictures and asking detailed questions (it was a WWII antique).
The bid was soon over $500! The item sold for a little over $600.
So...try to be certain of what you have. If the tools are REALLY old, you may have an antique..instead of a tool. Quite a difference in the pricing.