Selecting Wood Can Beat You Up

OK this is partly a bitch and moan post as much as about an event that is enjoyable.

I was down at the local hardwood depot. Don't bet me wrong the people there are friendly enough but not high on service. I needed to get 122 bf of Cherry for a project. I was buying 4/4 rough. The stack top was over my head and had apparently been picked through at the top. I asked one of the guys to pull the stack down with the fork lift so I could get to it without having it fall on top of me. He came over and looked at it above my head and said, "You're a tall guy you can get them down. I'll just put some dunnage on the floor so you can stack them there. I said oh, gee thanks. And thought your putting the dunnage down there so you don't have to pick them up because that's where I'm going to leave them when I'm done.

There was a lot of boards with sap wood and twisted boards. I had to to half way down the stack to get color and decent boards. Since I have to deal with these guys, I have no choice locally I stacked the wood neatly on the dunnage.

Before I looked at the wood I needed to check price because it was going to make a difference on what I made. The guy who has helped me every other time I've been there told me it is $5.00 bf for 4/4, $5.25 bf for 6/4 and $5.75 bf for 8/4. When I got back up to the desk to pay the guy behind the desk said 4/4 was $5.85 bf. I told they guy what the other guy had said and he gave me the price saying you got a good deal. I've asked them for a price list to avoid this but they will not provide one.

This morning I am hurting all over. I guess I getting old. But I will be forgetting all about the pains once I get started this morning in the shop.

Happy woodworking.

Roy

Reply to
ROYNEU

... snip

... snip Roy, sounds like it would be worthwhile for you to look into on-line ordering. I've gotten tired of the high price and low quality of the cherry available to me locally so started ordering from Steve Wall Lumber (there are other good internet dealers as well, check the archives). Thus far, I've been very satisfied, they have never sent me anything that is junk and the quality is way better than I could have gotten from my local supplier.

I was just unhappy with quality and price -- your experience would have had me going elsewhere in a heartbeat; I don't take well to people who treat me like crap and lie to me.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita