segmented bowl 'turning'

I remember a device that let the user start with a flat board and then create a series of rings that were stacked and glued to form a bowl.
Does any one have any information? Do they still make the tool?
-- LARRY CHAPMAN
On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 03:53:08 +0000, Larry Chapman wrote:

Back in Jr High shop in '70 we called it a "bandsaw." ;)
--
"Keep your ass behind you"

I think it was some kind of ring cutter-- Cut rings at an angle so you could then glue them together & turn a bowl. I did the same thing by cutting rings from a board on the lathe. I started out using a 45 deg angle with a parting tool. & messed around from there. It works quite well. check on rec.crafts.woodturning for more info-- or post there
There's tons of patterns for doing this at berry basket as well as several books on the subject utilizing a scroll saw.
Kevin Daly http://hometown.aol.com/kdaly10475/page1.html

It makes damned ugly bowls. Unless you have the nerve to not slice on every ring, and to still waste half your timber, you have to make bowls that are simple cones at the jigs angle. If you use two boards and cut every other spacing, you can make a thicker walled blank and still turn a reasonable shape into them.
There's another timber-saver gadget like this, but it works on semi-circles. Rather nicer effect, but it's a bit harder to use.
No-one really _needs_ more wooden bowls. Their only justification is if they're _good_ wooden bowls. Don't waste your life on the nasty ones.
--
Smert' spamionam

You can do that with a scroll saw though I'm sure your looking for something more automated.
I remember a device that let the user start with a flat board and then create a series of rings that were stacked and glued to form a bowl.
Does any one have any information? Do they still make the tool?
--
LARRY CHAPMAN

I think what you're looking for is called a Ring Master. Another poster said something about "damned ugly bowls", and IMHO it applies to what this jig produces..
There are other ways to make better looking bowls, even for a beginner.
tms
I remember a device that let the user start with a flat board and then create a series of rings that were stacked and glued to form a bowl.
Does any one have any information? Do they still make the tool?
--
LARRY CHAPMAN

If you want a cone-shaped bowl, then ok-- Don't know if the ring master is still around. If you want a cylinder shaped bowl, then use your TS to cut staves- 22 1/2 deg for 8 , 11.25 deg for 16 segments-- 1" stave width works for me for thicker walled or ornate turnings, you will have to use thicker lumber than 3/4" if you use this method
"Ring Master" made by the floor nailing folks in Wilmington, NC.... Porta-Nails
http://www.porta-nails.com/woodworking/ring_master.shtml