Seeking Lumber Rack Designs

Building my workshop and have the cement walls. I have run the electrical wiring and now am in the process of finishing over the walls with beeded plywood.
My question is before I finish over the studs should I reinforce them with extra supports to the cement walls where I want to build a lumber rack?
Also, anyone have any good suggestions or designs for a lumber rack?
(Featuring a NEW look)

You might like my lumber rack. It is VERY easy to build. See link below.
--
Stoutman
http://home.triad.rr.com/brianmelissa/woodworking_frames.htm

electrical
with
I think that would inspire anybody.
In one magazine, I saw where a fellow put up 4x4 columns with holes drilled in it to accept horizontal pieces of pvc. These pieces of pipe held up quite load without any deformation of the holes or pipe (sorry, can't remember the issue). Put the columns of 4x4's (or 4x6's) on two foot centers with multiple holes, you should have a strong, adjustable rack without any diagonal bracing in the way.
Preston

electrical
with
The easiest, rack is actuall shelving from a grocery store or hardware store. These can be free standing shelves one side or an island with shelves two sides. With these shelving units you can access them from the side and put many shelves on each upright making sorting and storing very easy.
As far as strength goes these shelves can support 300 or 400 pounds per shelf per 4 feet of run. I have one section of 20 feet that is 8 feet high and is full to 10 foot level with spalted maple boards.
These are cheap to buy when a store is renovating or moving, easy to erect and can be taken dowm and moved when you do.
You can never have enough good storage of wood.
Bob Jones

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 22:23:14 -0600, "Preston Andreas"

That's what I built, except I used 3/4" galvanised steel pipe, 18" long. The holes are drilled at a 5-degree angle, every 6 inches. The posts are lag-bolted into the top plates of the wall behind it. Works extremely well and the lumber is easy to get at.
Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Woodworking
Preston Andreas wrote:

It isn't PVC pipe which would easily break but 1" metal electrical conduit. The holes are drilled with about a 5 degree angle and oversized by about 1/8th inch. I recently built this and it works really well, super cheap, fast to change around and easy to expand. Believe it was in a Fine Woodworking ideas bit (with the line diagrams of jigs/ideas, forget the issue)
damian
Nice, this or Luigi's simple idea seems perfect for my shop.
Thanks!

drilled
quite
the

I used to have one like that but I found that too much moisture moved out of the floor and into the wood, warping it in half a day. I have since upgraded to one that has a 2x4 sitting on the floor, and only requires the ends of the boards to be it (I wish I could supply a pic). It has its limitations, too, of course.
- Owen -

See Fine Woodworking #179 (Oct. 05) Pg. 14 'Methods of Work'. Guy combined mobile lumber rack with CMS station. On my list of things to build RSN.
Mark Brubaker wrote:

Search in Google for "lumber rack" in quotes. Then click images at the top of the search results page. You will see tons of various lumber rack photo to link to, some commercial, some home made. Great way to find ideas.
Dave