Seeking Ideas on Trim

I plan to pull up carpeting and expose HW floors, and at the same time replace my baseboards. I also want to redo the stairway end-cap (I believe there is a proper name for it, but I don't know what it is).

These are a photos of how they did it back in '61. The baseboard is just cut at a 45 against the vertical quarter-round, and filled in with caulk. It looks kinda hokey in my opinion.

Any suggestions on how to build the end-cap and marry it to new baseboards? I have air nailers and a miter saw, so I can get pretty fancy. I am just short of ideas. I'll either do oak or painted pine, whatever anyone thinks looks better.

Thanks.

Buck Turgidson

situation

removed the 1/4 round from the top of the skirt board ran base moulding around the corner to the stairs split the angle and mitered the base molding at the skirt board ran base molding along the top of the skirt board to meet the miter

This significantly raises your 'molding' along the stairs but gives a cleaner look when done. You can also rip the bottom of the base molding at an angle so that the base molding on top of the skirt board can be lower than what runs around the room.

Reply to
RayV

Thanks. I was thinking of exactly that. The only thing that bothers me is that there is not a gradual transition from the skirt board to the base molding. It is kind of abrupt, going from a 1 by to the base molding.

Maybe I could install a new skirt and chamfer the edges a little bit with a router.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson