See the light...

Hi all,

My current project is replacing all of the original moulding in our FR with a nice

3 piece colonial style. Looks real nice so far.

Anyway, when I was at the borg (HD), I saw this quartz-halogen light stand (2 lights/250 w each) for $30 (w/2 extra bulbs.)

Thought to myself that it would be real nice to "see" what I'm mitering/painting in a nice bright light (nearsighted eyes pushing 60 now).

Wow - this was a great "investment". I can put the light to one side and see the shadow of a miter or joint before I nail it. Also, sanding a puttied hole flush becomes an obsession.

Downside: the drywall looks terrible - going to have a lot of work with all the nail pops etc.

I figure that with this many watts glaring on the work, it can only look better in normal room light.

Thinking about using it for:

-reading the morning paper

-shop (doubles as a heater)

-painting stuff

-photography (close to daylight temp I think)

See the light...

Lou

Reply to
loutent

They are pretty good as shop heaters on chilly mornings. If you're using it for photos, put your digital camera on AWB (automatic white balance). It is not all that close to daylight, though it's closer than incandescent.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Halogens are in the 3000-3400k Range. You can actually buy bulbs for them that fit the fixtures that are a predicatble 3200k from a photo place. If you are shooting digital many have a tungsten setting, if not the incandescent setting may look a touch blue. If using film you can buy tungsten balanced film (not at Walmart).

Bob by Chicago

Reply to
Bob by Chicago