secondary wood for cabinets

In the past, I've used 1/2" ply, or veneered particle board for the sides and backs of drawers, and parts of cabinets that don't show. These all have some drawbacks. If I wanted to use solid wood (but not expensive cherry, oak, etc.) what do you recommend? It should be reasonably cheap and easy to find locally (no, not necessarily at the local HD) but be attractive and most important not prone to warping.

Thanks for your suggestions Rob

Reply to
Rob Mitchell

Cheap and Local depend on where you are. Also depends on whether you want to stay with 1/2" and want to buy pre-milled stock.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Rob Mitchell wrote in news:QjIad.19592$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

Pine, poplar, aspen, vg fir, soft maple, baltic birch plywood and its various cousins....

Dry, stable, easy to work, not too dense, readily available all are important considerations.

Do you have a local professional lumber supplier you trust? Ask for recommendations, and some sample lots.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

As others have indicated, Baltic Birch is a good choice.

Dick

Reply to
Richard Cline

Bass.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Poplar for solid wood Luan for ply.

Reply to
MikeG

Poplar or Ash both work well. Pretty much depends upon cost and workability (and maybe not even that if it won't show).

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I always use poplar for drawers, trays etc. A little amber shellac and a coat or two of poly and it looks like a drawer should (IMHO).

Also, it is readily available.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

I can go Baltic Birch plywood for drawers but veneered particle board? Please, don't to it.

bob g.

loutent wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway