Someone observed a couple of years ago it would take a certain type of talent and attitude to destroy what Sears spent YEARS building as a positive reputation and apparently it resided in the front office of Sears. Pity!
.... Pity!
Recall that K-Mart -bought- Sears, you are describing the K-Mart attitude on returns to a "T"
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
I have an experienced almost as complicated as yours. It took more than two years to settled. After that I canceled Sears credit cards and have never bought anything from them again no matter how cheap or good!

It's been by experience that Sears will screw things up beyond all recognition and then bend over backward to make it right. War stories? That would probably make an entertaining book. My uncle (a farmer in northern Minnesota) had them, my father (who worked for Sears in MN for some years) had them, and I had them. There was always a feeling of apprehension and excitement before the appearance of a Sears delivery or repair person. The event was usually followed by phone calls to friends and family of the "you'll never believe what Sears did this time" type.
    mahalo,     jo4hn

Sears just got nailed again for false advertising, this time in Canada.

If you read the details the case says more about our "consumer protection" agency than about Sears' advertising practices.

Sears has, in my experience, often been misleading about their pricing. The ruling stated that Sears exaggerated the savings on it's tire ads. The ads suggested a savings of $248, whereas the actual savings were $12. Often you'll see Craftsman tools listed in sale flyers for 50% off, when in reality the sale price is usually the normal selling price.
The Canadian Federal Competition Tribunal is coming down hard on retailers who advertise misleading price comparisons or false bargains, and I applaud them for it. It's about time.

They also assume that consumers are complete idiots.
On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 19:45:33 -0600, Dave Balderstone

I'll assume that their charter or whatever mission statement docs they use have language about protecting consumers.
at least some of whom *are* complete idiots. hell, from what I see, probably a lot of them are...

Some are, but I'd suggest many simply believe that retailers are being honest with their advertising.
HI,
    Mail order has always had troubles. In the 60's a great aunt bought some drapes. She did not like the color and sent them. Two weeks later a refund check appears in the mail and the next day an identical set of drapes arrived. She wrote a letter explaining things and sent back the drapes. Two weeks later a second refund check appears in the mail and the next day an identical set of drapes arrived. I think she ended up with 4 refund checks and a set of drapes before she gave up.
Thanks Roger H

Not just mail order. Almost any organization big enough to have separate departments for different activities has a serious risk of not talking with itself.
I had a serious of problems with Comcast when I returned the rented cable modem because I had replaced it with one that I purchased myself. It took six months, numerous phone calls and several letters to get it straightened out.
Bob
reminds my of my RCWilly VCR experience
got a TV, DVD, and VCR from RCWilly, set it up, didn't use it for 31 days (don't watch that may videos, got it to record stuff) put in a tape that we got as a gift, got a blue screen, but had sound, ok, there's something wrong still had the packaging, took it back, and they wouldn't take it 30 return policy, but they would repair it, ok fair enough, 2 weeks go by, haven't herd from them, call them, ya it's here come pick it up, bring it home it works I'm kinda happy, ok two weeks later get a message, your VCR is ready for pick up, there slow enough, already got it. 2 weeks go by get another call, your VCR is ready for pick up. what? go there and they had a VCR, same make and model, with my name on it, and for a split second I thought cool two for the price of one, but I was honest and told them I already picked mine up, they where a little confused but oh well, and this was one department at the local store
Roger Haar wrote:

i found out i had been charged on my sears card a 900 dollar repair because another customer couldnt find his card and the repair man called the office to get his number then charged mine . jo4hn wrote:

i found out i had been charged on my sears card a 900 dollar repair because another customer couldnt find his card and the repair man called the office to get his number then charged mine . jo4hn wrote:

Bob Bowles wrote:

Basic rule in dealing with _any_ mail order--no matter what they say the order isn't cancelled until two weeks have gone by and UPS hasn't delivered it.

--
--John
<snip of Sears horror story>

A pity indeed. Sears has been lysing into a puddle of goo since the 60s. They managed the transition from mail-order to store operations successfully, but when their store model started to fail they were utterly lost.
They have been doing stupid things in varying degrees of panic ever since. One of the most stupid was to utterly destroy their reputation with their customers. That was longer in coming than some of their other mistakes, but they have managed it.
In another five years there will be no more Sears (I predict) and for my money it has taken far too long.
--RC
What made me never go back to ours is when they wouldn't open the screwdriver cabinet and sell me a screwdriver when it was only 30 minutes till closing time.. 5 minutes, I could see.. but 30 minutes?
On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:00:58 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com wrote:

I won't shed any tears, they deserve it.
Hi, Not only at Sears, common occurence everywhere. If anyone dares, name a place where there is true customer service. Every time I am at store, bank or whatever, feels like I am there to serve them, Sigh! Tony