Sears charges restocking fee

Be careful what you buy at Sears. They now charge a 15% restocking fee for opened merchandise.

Mike

Reply to
upand_at_them

If it is only what I read below from the Sears web site, it is fair a.. A 15% restocking fee applies on Tires, select Home Appliances, Home Electronics, Home Improvement, Household Goods, Lawn & Garden, and Automotive products not returned in the original box, unused, and containing all original product packaging and accessories.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Agreed, it does seem fair for those circumstances; you can't expect them to take a loss for other people's abuse. But the receipt is more general, saying that it applies to all opened merchandise. And it applied to the unused tool I tried to return today.

Anyway, just be careful.

Mike

Reply to
upand_at_them

I ran in to the same thing with a digital camera from Best Buy. They went so far as to put a strap of yellow tape across the box that indicated the re-stocking fee if the tape was removed.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Never buy anything digital or a computer from Best Buy. I haven't been in a Sears retail store in 8 Years. Don't miss them, don't need them.

Reply to
Dude

Reply to
Warren Weber

You just have to be smarter than the people that work there, then you will be OK shopping at Best Buy.

Reply to
Leon

I felt that too many people took advantage of the old policy and therefore the rest of us suffered in the prices we had to pay. It was common for people to "buy" a rear projection tv just before the Super Bowl, get 6 months or longer no interest or payments and return it the week after the game for full credit. Camcorders came back right after the wedding, sometimes with the tape of the wedding still in the camcorder but tape was usually missing. Remember, 2000? The big scare was that the electricity grid was going to fail so the product that month(December/January) was generators. Then there were snowblowers bought in the Fall and returned in the Spring, lawnmowers bought in the Spring and returned in the Fall. Power tools bought for the big remodeling job and returned right after. I could go on and on but I think you get the point. Perhaps with the restocking fee, they'll lower prices.. You think?

Tom G.

Reply to
Tom G

Yeah, sure they'll lower the prices just like the solvent manufacturers are now lowering the prices of their solvents with oil down to $50 bucks a barrel. Don't hold your breath.

Reply to
Joe Bleau

No need to... I buy nothing at Sears.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Also smarter than the people who scam the people that work there. Among other things, learn how to recognize if a box has been opened and if it has then don't buy it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I have mixed feelings about it. Too often, a person would buy the tool, do a job, then return it. All stores have horror stories about returned merchandise and as a customer, we pay for the abuse by others. This is one way to prevent it and keep cost lower.

There may be very good reasons to return a tool that has been opened. They should be deal with properly. Using that multi-meter for troubleshooting and then returning it is just plain abuse. They should not take it back. If you decided you'd want a different model, then yes, take it back for credit.

In the past 25 years or so, I can only think of one return I made. A set of spade bits there were crap. If the company loses money because of my return, they deserve it because they wee not worth owning. But if I bought a tool and used it, decided I don't want it any more, then it should be my loss, not every other customer of hte store.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Canadian tire now has a seven day return policy on power tools that also applies to gifts. So you are SOL if you get a gift that you don't like or need from the Canadian Tire tool department. Their liberal return policy was the ONLY good reason to buy Mastercrap.

Reply to
David

The ones that annoy me are the folks who have something break on them, go to the store and buy an identical model, put the broken one in the box and return it for credit.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I suspect you're gonna get awful hungry. Of course I've never _tried_ to return anything to a grocer.

Reply to
J. Clarke

J. Clarke wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

*trim*

*trim*

My family's done it once or twice before. Once in a great great while you get milk well within the expiration date and it's bad.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I have an acquaintance who manages a Albums store.

As silly as it sounds, folks do occasionally return bad food, and the stores will usually give a refund. Usually, it's meat and fish that come back, with just a few bites gone.

He does have some silly stories of people, one involves a return of 6 ounces of a 3 pound roast.

Reply to
B A R R Y

B A R R Y wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

*snip*

Well, you know... The guarantee labels on food usually say "return the unused portion" or as the skittles bag says "Please save the unused product and the wrapper." with their quality guarantee.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

That is easy- online shopping. I'm lucky to have a Farm and Fleet nearby that has most of the big stuff I want, but anything that even hints of rarity gets bought off the internet. Works just fine- it's an old idea (catalog shopping) that's just been sped up.

Reply to
Prometheus

Just stay away from Sears. Works for me!

Reply to
Albert