Sears CabinetTable Saw

Page 2 of 2
Charlie...
I thought they both had 1 HP motors, so my bad. On the fence, the one that comes with the model #OR35505 $649 unit sure looked nice, and would probably be OK for many of us on a budget. They both include a dust chute/port, so hooking up a DC system shouldn't be too much of big deal. You gotta' understand I'm just a hack getting by with my 30-year old craftsman and its original fence.
Given the choice of that saw with the OEM fence and WWII blade and $200 large in my pocket vs the "better" sears saw with the Biese... I'm thinking about what other tool I could buy, or some nice wood, or maybe a night at Foxwoods!
Mike

Bsmug wrote:

Cabinet
Saw the picture in the link someone posted. Looks solid, but couldn't say for sure until I saw it in person.
Though, for slightly less than a grand, you are in the ballpark of a decent used Delta/Jet/Grizzly... with a more powerful motor, a bigger table and (not sure if it is true but heard Craftsman slots weren't standard size) but standard miter gauge slots.
Save for a bit longer, keep your eyes out for a deal (ebay maybe just look for one located near you) and you can probably do better.
I purchased this Sears "cabinet" saw back in late December on sale. It is a Hybrid (not a cabinet / not a contractor's table saw - sort of a mixture of both).
All in all, I like it. It replaced a 15 year old Craftsman table saw that I just simply wore out. It needed a new motor, the top was steel and not cast so it was just beat to death but I made a lot of saw dust with that baby.
Regarding the new saw, it cuts true and I just love the Biesemeyer fence. A well worth investment. Quieter too and I like that in my enclosed shop. Here are a few things to note from my experience...
Make sure you have help. The sucker is heavy. The saw for the most part comes pre-assembled but it is a bear to get in and out of the truck from the store. Comes in two boxes but the saw is bolted to a metal pallet. The fence comes in the second box.
It will take two to set up and install the cast iron extensions. Heavy and cumbersome considering the way they get bolted on and leveled. Rest of the assembly and calibration is straightforward. The blade guard & splitter are a definite improvement over what Craftsman had in the past. The guard / splitter come off with the loosening of a knob. You do not have to remove the blade guard, etc.
Speaking of blade guards, for about $20 or so, invest in a zero clearance one and do not use the stock guard. Opening is large (what were they thinking?) but the nice thing is that the guard on this model is the same size as the Delta left tilt table so you can order the Delta model from just about anywhere on the web.
Dust collection is fair. There is a 4" duct on the back but I found that I still need to open up the side door and vacuum the inside out from there. My dust collector is fairly powerful but does not seem to have enough to clean out the saw. Coming from a contractor's saw where all the dust was on the floor, anything was an improvement.
One addition I do like is the outfeed table that drops down. It is only stamped steel but better than the adjustable roller stand that I was using.
Hope this helps. Buy it on sale when they are taking another 10% for the Craftsman club.
--
John

"Bsmug" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message

which saw??
They have 3 that I've seen... from about $300 to around $900.. The one that retails for $999 and sells for around $800 - $850 seems to get pretty good reviews here, for a craftsman..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
There is a good review of the Sears and other hybrid table saws in the current issue of Woodcraft magazine.