Sears

Folks, I think this is great that they would do this! I'm sure that there are other company's out there that do this too. Just thought I'd pass it along to our NG.

I assume you have all seen the reports about how Sears is treating its reservist employees who are called up? By law, they are required to hold their jobs open and available, but nothing more. Usually, people take a big pay cut and lose benefits as a result of being called up...Sears is voluntarily paying the difference in salaries and maintaining all benefits, including medical insurance and bonus programs, for all called up reservist employees for up to two years. I submit that Sears is an exemplary corporate citizen and should be recognized for its contribution.

Suggest we all shop at Sears, and be sure to find a manager to tell them why we are there so the company gets the positive reinforcement it well deserves.

Pass it on.

So I decided to check it out before I sent it forward. I sent the following e-mail to the Sears Customer Service Department:

I received this e-mail and I would like to know if it is true. If it is, the Internet may have just become one very good source of advertisement for your store. I know I would go out of my way to buy products from Sears instead of another store for a like item even if it was cheaper at the other store.. Here is their answer to my e-mail....................... â?

Dear Customer:

Thank you for contacting Sears.

The information is factual. We appreciate your positive feedback. Sears regards service to our country as one of greatest sacrifices our young men and women can make. We are happy to do our part to lessen the burden they bear at this time.

Bill Thorn Sears Customer Care [ mailto: snipped-for-privacy@sears.com ] snipped-for-privacy@sears.com

1-800-349-4358

Please pass this on to all your friends, Sears needs to be recognized for this outstanding contribution and we need to show them as Americans, we do appreciate what they are doing for our military

Reply to
Ace

They may be "an exemplary corporate citizen" but my last experience with them involving the purchase of a washer and dryer is exactly that MY LAST EXPERIENCE with them. They will have to be the last place on earth where I can buy a tool, appliance or whatever before I will buy from them and at that, I will have to be dragged into the store kicking and screaming.

They may be doing right by their employees but their customer service sucks big time.

Reply to
Jack Casuso

I'll go and buy something there. Just not sure what. Good on 'em!

Dave

Reply to
TeamCasa

Ace did say:

Planned on buying a new toolbox this month. Now I know where I'll get it.

Reply to
WoodMangler

I have given Sears lots of business. I have had very little complaint with any customer service. I have bought a few things at Sears that needed to be returned (not just Craftsman) and have never had a problem. They will continue to get whatever business I have. God bless our troops and corporations like Sears who make their lives easier.

contribution.

Reply to
Rob Hall

I have to disagree. We have been shopping Sears for 40+ years, not so much for power tools as for appliances, lawn equipment, etc.

Whenever I have had a problem, they are willing to go to the "nth" degree to please. There have been a few times when I was really PO'd about delivery dates, scratches, installation etc. Whatever the case was, they have always made good - no questions asked.

As an example, a few years ago I purchased a refrigerator for my mothers place (she is in her 80's). It was promised for delivery on a certain date and they called the day before to tell us that they had a

2 day delay. I e-mailed their CS dept and they apologized for the inconvenience and rebated $150 for the trouble.

This alone tells me that they have their heads screwed on right. Any big company will have problems - it's what they do to make it right that counts.

Hearing the OP's story simply reinforces my feelings.

Will I buy everything from Sears? Of course not.

But next time I need some stain/paint, hardware and have to decide whether to make a right turn the BORG or left to Sears, I will certainly consider this. (no political stuff intended!)

As far as I know, the BORG's are equally patriotic.

Makes me feel like I'm getting more for my $ than the merchandise.

This is a great country.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Apparently you have great local folks. I congratulate you on your good fortune. However, yours is not the universal experience.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

That's all good sounding, and good for them if that is the truth, but as far as my personal truth goes, I will shop at Sears if they have what I am looking for and it is at the right price. There is no "rightiousness call" that should cause me to shop at Sears for the 'sake of supporting the company' because of their good deeds as a reason. Logic and economics is the basis for anything in this good land. There is no "I owe it to ya" in any American constitutional level of freedom by ANY means.

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

I wish I'd of known that a few days ago.. was in sears buying toys for a grand kid's b-day and I would have mentioned it for sure, as a manager helped me find what I wanted... I have to post this, in case someone might have a gap in their Christmas list... Sears sells a "my first Craftsman" tool chest that is just TOO cute... (assembly was not cute, though) I looks like the old red roll-away and comes with several tools, nuts, bolts, a vise, etc... It was on sale for about $25.... They also have a workbench for the same price..

Reply to
mac davis

Why not build your own out of white oak?

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

I have had consistently very good service with Sears over the 25 or so years I have done business with them and others. They are solid in my experience. And they are an icon in my memories going back to the "Christmas Wish Book" days of my youth. Good stuff.

Reply to
Fourleaves

I hate to correct you, but after a little poking around, I saw that they do this for 60 months... 5 years instead of just 2. Check out this article:

really is above and beyond the call of duty!

Reply to
Lola

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 21:42:19 GMT, "Jack Casuso" calmly ranted:

My current episode with them goes something like this:

4W Sept. '04: Crapsman tool breaks. I take it into the local outlet store where they call up and have a replacement sent direct to me at home! 1W Oct. '04: I had taken in a 1/4" spinner, more or less a 1/4" square-drive screwdriver with a 1/4" hole in the back for a ratchet. They sent a 1/4" ratchet in its place. I then take it ack to the store and ask "what's up?" They call in and find that the tool I need is no longer made by Searz. Sorry. For the next two weeks, I try to get the store manager and Searz National either to replace it with another manufacturer's part OR refund my money. I point out that several other mfgrs make them and give them the part numbers. Neither is possible according to them. How about a gift card? 3W Oct. '04: They offered a $10 gift card and I talked them into $15. Fine. I go to the local Searz to use it and find absolutely nothing in the store I want. It's a small Manager-owned outlet store with tools, appliances, TVs and sewing machines. I then drive all the way to Medford (60 mile r/t) to the large store looking for thermal underware (the first frost has already hit and it's getting cold). "Sorry! We won't have those in for another month or so." I'm told. I'm spittin' mad now. 4W Oct. '04: I send off yet another email to Searz Nat. Cust. Svc. A gal calls and talks to me. I ask them to send that pair of long johns to the local store. Sorry, that's an outlet store. They don't do that. 1W Nov. '04: Can I order something from a catalog and have it sent to me? No, they don't take gift cards plus you have to pay shipping on it.

The bottom line: If you buy something Searz no longer makes, you're shit outta luck. They've found one more way to end their warranty agreement. I'm out 3 hours of time fighting with them, 75 miles of trekking to their stores to get satisfaction, and now several months have gone by with no luck on any point. Searz, WTF good are ya?

If I do get my money out of them, it'll be because I took the damned card to their store and settled on something other than the several things I originally wanted. How's that for Customer Service.

They could take some serious lessons from Lee Valley and Nordstroms.

And that's IF you can get 'em to warranty what they are supposed to.

SCR*W S**RZ. Never again. (Until the next tool breaks.)

The funny thing is, it would have cost them less if they'd just bought another manufacturer's tool and sent it to me. Mindless corporate mentality, I swear. Feh!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
Jack Casuso

AAvK did say:

You've got a long memory! That's still planned, but I want to replace an old metal one with a similar one.

Reply to
WoodMangler

Here's a site that lists a large number of companies that are going the extra mile to support active duty and reservists.

all verified, but YMMV. This is the internet after all.

Reply to
WoodMangler

Will they continue this policy when K-Mart byes them?

Reply to
CW