Searching for the name of a fitting

Hi,
I'm looking for the name of a fitting.
I need to screw a platform onto some legs that will support it. The idea is to drill a hole (countersunk) down through the platform, insert a threaded bolt and then screw into the leg. The top of each leg will have a hole bored in it, with a threaded cylindrical metal receptacle for the bolt embedded in the hole. The idea is that the bolt screws into the receptacle, making the assembly easy to take apart.
Anyone know what this receptacle is called, and a good place to find them? Home Depot and Lowes don't seem to have them.

Threaded insert, or in germany you would call it "Rampa-Muffe". Look at: http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=1&pD237&cat=3,43576,43578&apor http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=1&p@984&cat=3,43576,43578&ap=1 Although those do not seem to be made of steel
Or see here: http://www.vandykes.com/discount_product/02365730 / (DAGS threaded inserts for wood)

Thanks very much, exactly what I was looking for.

I think you've described a "standoff". Radio Shack sells them in a 1/4" hex by maybe 3/4" long size, and I'm sure that there are other sizes out there.

If you know anyone with a (metal) lathe, they're pretty easy to, ahem, turn out, given some hex or round stock and the appropriate tap. But 'standoff' is the word you need here, and you should be able to buy whatever you need without making it.
I've made 'em when I didn't feel like driving to the hardware store.
Dave Hinz
[...]

A standoff has no wood thread on it's outside.
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:08:18 +0100, Juergen Hannappel

I didn't (and don't) see that mentioned as a requirement in his message?

I should have been clearer. It must be threaded on the outside so that it won't pull out of the leg once tension is applied by tightening down the bolt from above.
You didn't say whether or not the platform is intended to support one or more humans but if it is, I wouldn't trust threaded inserts. There is another device called a cross dowel that is inserted into a hole bored at right angles to the centerline of the bolt and the bolt threads thru its shank. It is about three times as long and the diameter of the bolt and I believe it to be much more secure than a threaded insert because there is much more than just threads bearing its load. Cross dowels are often used to assemble furniture made of particle board because threaded inserts usually strip out in such applications..
In your application if the bolts securing the platform are inserted vertically, the cross dowels would be inserted in holes bored horizontally.

Ahh yes, I see what you're saying. Fortunately, the total weight load on this will be no more than 25 to 30 pounds.
writes:

Here is the quote with emphasis added:

--

Roger Shoaf

[...]

Just *threaded* does not imply _on the outside_.
I believe you are describing either a T-Nut or a Threaded Insert. Most likey the T-Nut on a table leg.
writes:

T-nuts are basically worthless if used on the TOP of a table let, they don't really have any holding power and pull out of the drilled holes easily. They really are best used with the bolt/screw/whatever coming thru from the opposite side so the flange of the T-nut is pulled up against the wood to supply strength/rigidity
Threaded inserts would be the better choice here, OR KD hardware with a thru dowel/etc that is threaded to catch the bolt
John