Searching for (new) wood supplier

Page 4 of 4
Renata, check out the local cabinet supply shops. I get a lot of my lumber at one. The plusses are nice lumber and decent prices. The minus is that they cannot do anything except sell you a piece of wood as it sits in their warehouse. They can't cut it to length, plane it or whatever. I've taken to keeping a handsaw behind the seat of my truck. Often the boards I want are 16' long, and my 6' truck bed just can't really handle it.
David
remove the key to email me.
On 19 Dec 2003 01:38:43 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comkey (J Pagona aka Y.B.) wrote:

I trade part time installation labor for my wood. If they get behind on a job I will go in at night and work on it. I work with computers so it's a nice break to make a few bucks smacking in cabinets. I get wholesale wood prices against $40 a hour labor AND I get barrels of trim pieces free as well.
Thanx. I'd forgotten about that option.
Actually, when I lived in S. central PA, I used to deal w/2 cabinet shops for my wood. And a big advantage with one (Campbell's) in particular was that he Would mill it for me. Prices were pretty good also. Snyder's was pretty good too but a little pricier and a little more reluctant to mill. But still ok as an alternative.
Problem I have now is that I only get up there on weekends and don't want to impose upon the guy unless I have a larger order (which usually requires a truck...)..
Renata
On 19 Dec 2003 01:38:43 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comkey (J Pagona aka Y.B.) wrote:

Cabinet shops are also an option, but what I meant was the wholesalers who sell plywood, hardwood, plastic laminate and lumber to the cabinet shops. Most of them also sell to the general public. If you have a large order, they also make deliveries (although delivery policies probably vary from store to store. There may be a minimum order or a delivery charge.)
David
remove the key to email me.
Why thanx for asking.
I make contemporary furniture kinda sporadicaly, lately, veeery sporadically, and have this itch to try my hand at jewelry boxes (but am working on a unique and functional design). I also do architectural design.
Combination of sheet goods and solid woods. I haven't had a customer willing to pay for solid cherry or oak carcasses, and haven't been "inspired" to do solid cherry cabinetry for myself yet. Some smaller pieces (like cd racks) are all sold wood, of course.
The entertainment center I'm trying to finish (kinda like Larry's bow saw, though I have a long way to wait to catch up to him - I've only been at it 2 years) will have a pair of raised panel solid cherry pocket doors. Part of the hang up is I keep changing minor design details (liek the crown). But, I think I've settled on a final version, and in fact was trying to order some 6/4 cherry for side "pillars" - kinda pseudo raised panel - (to 'reinforce' the ply sides, which are tending to bow out in the 4' high tv space) when this to-do started. Hoping to finish by New Year.
Lately I've been occupied with all sorts of stuff (like carpentry, but also life), not all voluntary, that keeps me away from the shop. Good news is that I've probably had my fill of Habitat for Humanity so won't be building or designing or anything else for 'em.
Sorry - I tend to ramble... Next time you'll be more carefull asking knowing the long winded response. :-)
Renata
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 20:52:23 -0500 (EST), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (T.) wrote:

Yeah, but I think you're kinda far from MD. ;-)
Renata
On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 16:40:40 -0500 (EST), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (T.) wrote:

smart, not dumb for email
I've been hanging around for about a year now - haven't posted anything for quite awhile though. I just have a casual observation...
Human nature is so dad-gummed fascinating. Why is it that the one person who always seems to make a fool of himself insists on continuing to make a fool of himself. I especially like the Mensa-wannabe vs. the direct, no-nonsense people.
Unfortunately, I don't fall into either catagory. I usually just sit back and watch the show when the words start flying. Although, if I get really riled up, I might respond with a "you to buddy"
Someone smarter than me once said, "The empty barrel makes the most noise." Seems somewhat appropriate here.
It's only sarcasm folks, or is it? -J
Hey, join in; the water's fine! Don't be a wallflower all your life! Have you got a real NAME?
Disclaimer. god, I hate these! The above was a J O K E. as in "don't take me seriously".
dave
JR9er wrote:

Renata: I can say that Steve Wall is a good guy to deal with, when I lived in NC I used to go up to Mayodan and buy wood. My buddy ordered stock shipped, and they always gave him nice picks, and he never complained, so I'd give Wall a vote of confidence. His prices are competitive as well. Good luck.