Sealing the lids on paint tins

Page 6 of 6
On 7/5/2011 7:27 AM, Robin wrote:

He left out holding your breath. Have you ever heard of holding your breath before blowing out a candle?
@swbelldotnet says...

Nope. Neither has the wind.
On 7/5/2011 9:13 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

When you hold your breath you emit less oxygen in you wind and you blow "slowly". The point of holding your breath is to smother the flame and the glowing wick so that it does not continue to smoke after the fire is out.

And be sure that a dumb blonde doesn't get a hold of these instructions. ;-)
Max
On 7/5/2011 4:15 AM, john brook wrote:

If you keep paint out of the sealing area between the lid and can you get the same effect.
Store the can upside down to keep the air on bottom.

Surely the place to put the plastic sheet is lying on top of the paint. this separates it from the air.
Robert
On 7/5/11 9:39 AM, RobertL wrote:

This is the only good advice you've gotten. The air inside the can is enough to skin over the paint. Kitchen plastic wrap pushed down into the can, touching the entire surface of the paint will keep air away from the paint... then cap the can with the lid.
Works great on ice cream, too, to keep it from crystallizing or getting freezer burn on the surface.
--

-MIKE-

On 7/6/2011 5:28 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

The only disadvantage (as I pointed out upthread) is that this creates a bit of a mess when it has to be removed.
On 7/6/11 5:40 PM, Gib Bogle wrote:

Less of a mess than the skin? :-)
--

-MIKE-

john brook laid this down on his screen :

Once the lid is firmly back on, just turn it upside down. The what ever it is inside will seal the gaps in the lid and prevent any more air entering.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Might be a good idea if you don't clean the rim...

Air passes through plastic sheet generally less than 4mm thick, but as a gasket I don't think this applies.
I solve the "air in paint can" problem by filling the can up with glass marbles to take up the space. I used to do this in my darkroom for my photo chemicals, but thats long gone! Glass of course doesn't react with the paint, and they stay on the bottom. A bonus is as you shake the can, they stir the paint! (Hold the lid on...)
The only problem at the beginning was raiding enough toy stores to get a gallon of marbles! The dollar store was a good find!
See the pic of my cleaned marbles drying on the stove top at Alt.binaries.photos.original
snipped-for-privacy@somewhere.com wrote:

You don't need to visit toy stores. Search the web for "marbles wholesale"
Here's one place that sells about 500 5/8" marbles for $28 (500=half-gallon) (smaller assortments available).
http://www.landofmarbles.com/marble-sets-and-assortments.html
Apparently the marble business is highly competitive...

People keep losing them.
On 7/8/2011 7:14 AM, Robatoy wrote:

<rimshot>
On 7/8/2011 8:14 AM, Robatoy wrote:

2 points, maybe more...
--
Jack
You're not yourself today, I noticed the improvement immediately!
john brook wrote:

I do this - but my reason is that the lid is much easier to remove years later.