Sealing the lids on paint tins

Page 2 of 6
Mrcheerful wrote:

What about paint in a bag, without a tin? Tough blood-bag style pouch that could be kneaded to mix, and a strong plastic screw-top like a coke bottle.

That's far, far too efficient, Z. There'll be none of that!
-- One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love. -- Sophocles

Correct. One needs specialty marbles and membranes and dead-blow hammers and inverted shelving and perimeter-verifiable-impact-lid- adjustment tables and temperature gauges, not to mention hazmat pants....I said NOT to mention hazmat pants!
On 09/07/2011 21:31, Zapp Brannigan wrote:

Wine box anyone?
Andy
I use the wine box for all my finishes. It's great. I can mix the paint by just slapping the membrane on a bench. It elongates the storage of all my finishes.
The way my wife and brother in law go through these boxes I have an endless supply.
I use soda bottles with the top cut off to fill them (makes a one time funnel) squeeze the air out, then store.
The best method of storing I have used. No rusted lids, no stuck lids.
If I can't get the stuff to remix, I pour it all out in a can and mix, then pour it back. Rarely needed, but occasionally does happen.
One more advantage is the small storage size.
On 7/5/2011 7:28 AM, Owain wrote:

On 7/5/2011 6:19 AM, Mrcheerful wrote:

Like these?
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p 052&cat=1,190,44133&ap=1
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Steve Turner wrote:

dang, I was too late.

I've got a few concertina bottles in my darkroom for storing film developer.
http://www.silverprint.co.uk/media/stock/000009EC.JPG
They will collapse from 1 litre down to about 1/2 litre. Works fine with fluid but I'm not sure about gloss paint. Can you imagine trying to whack the lid on an concertining paint container ;-)
--
Paul Giverin

My Photos:- www.pbase.com/vendee
Paul Giverin wrote:

That would be a job to be passed to 'the boy'
On 6/07/2011 1:58 AM, Paul Giverin wrote:

Darkroom - that's on the desktop nowdays.
Rob wrote:

Ah, now, I'm hoping to move within the next few weeks. The place I intend moving to has a large, windowless area just the right size for an enlarger and the associated bits, and I do enjoy messing about with proper B&W film. Much more satisfying than manipulating bits, IMO.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Don't forget the kettle and biscuit tin.

Absolutely! Watching that image appear in the developer tray is still a magic moment. Beats clicking the "OK" button in Photoshop.
--
Paul Giverin

My Photos:- www.pbase.com/vendee
Paul Giverin wrote:

Biscuits are banned due to crumbs. I *hate* spotting prints.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

On 6/07/2011 3:35 PM, John Williamson wrote:

But will it take a 8"x10" enlarger?
I changed in 2003 (shot my last film), my enlargers(2) are still in the darkroom with a wet bench, colour processor and film processor.
I haven't looked back, better for my health not breathing or touching chemicals.
I can digitize old film formats, manipulate to any film texture and print to 24" wide on the Epson printer.
But I'm thinking of resurrecting my 120 panoramic cameras and the E6 processor. i don't like the feel of digital images.
Rob wrote:

Possibly not, but I don't use bigger than 120 rollfilm, anyway.

Another excellent reason. Which reminds me... <Takes down Cibachrome print of a windmill in silhouette, and carefully packs it away for the move later today>
I know for a fact that the detail inside the silhouette couldn't possibly be reproduce on *any* digital printout. Black on darker black, it is, and *very* subtle.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

On 6/07/2011 8:42 PM, John Williamson wrote:

Well yes they can now - my printer has 4 blacks, three are used at anyone time, which enable you to reproduce a very good grey scale.(Epson 7900 11 inks) unlike the others that mix colours to imitate black. I think that the blacks would show better detail than the Ciba, which I found too contrasty.
writes

Yebbut you can't escape to your desktop and lock the door for the afternoon.
--
Paul Giverin

My Photos:- www.pbase.com/vendee

Sure you can. Put your computer desk in the darkroom.
RE: Subject
That's why propane torches and dead weight hammers exist.
Haven't had a can of paint skin over in years.
Lew

Dead blow hammers?