Sealing Plywood

I just finished making a plywood door for a game cabinet The original door had been made of particle board, but the 3/8" lip on both ends had begun to disintegrat over the years.

Since the disadvantage in using plywood is that it tends to warp, is there a good way to seal it to prevent this before I prime and paint?

I have something called Thompson's WaterSeal, but don't know if I should use that before I prime with an Enamel Undercoater Primer/ Sealer (by BEHR) I have.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

Swingman

Whatever you end up doing be sure to do the same thing to both sides of the ply. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Yes. Not to mention the edges.

I just don't like the idea of having to go out and buy something else when I already have a sealer and a primer/sealer.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

------------------------------------------------------- Swing already put this to bed.

Dewaxed shellac.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I'm not going for a clear finish. The door has to be primed and painted black after I seal it.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

------------------------------------------------------- Lew Hodgett wrote:

---------------------------------------------------- "Searcher7" wrote:

------------------------------------------- Clear or painted surface has NOTHING to do with sealing the surface.

You wanted a sealer which is what dewaxed shellac does and it also serves as a primer for the raw materials.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I'm assuming you are saying that the sealer/primer I already have is not go= od enough, correct? And that Zinsser Bullseye=AE SealCoat=99 can be painted= over?

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ "Searcher7" wrote:

I'm assuming you are saying that the sealer/primer I already have is not good enough, correct? And that Zinsser Bullseye® SealCoat? can be painted over?

---------------------------------------------------------- You asked for a sealer for the plywood recommendation.

That's what you got.

Never worked with the stuff you have so can't comment about it's quality.

Zinsser Bullseye® SealCoat?is designed as a sealer that you can paint over.

It is what I would use.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

In fact, shellac is a component in KILZ primer.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Zinsser Bullseye SealCoat is 100% was-free shellac in denatured alcohol.

Scott Lurndal

good enough, correct? And that Zinsser Bullseye=AE SealCoat=99 can be paint= ed over?

Dewaxed shellac is the best sealer made, can be painted over with anything.

Reply to
Father Haskell

To fill in some blanks in the discussion, I'll add that shellac makes an excellent barrier to water vapor. In other words, it can slow but not prevent warping due to humidity changes.

There are no guarantees on that no matter what you do. One thing that helps is using better plywood but these days it can be hard to tell just what you are getting. I am pretty sure the better plywood won't be found at Home Depot or Lowes.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

Ok, so let me get this straight.

Thompson's WaterSeal is a waste of money. Zinsser Bullseye SealCoat works well. And no one here has tried BEHR Enamel Undercoater Primer/Sealer #75.

Thanks for all the ideas on removing the bar-code sticker. I actually wet a cloth and laid it on the sticker for a couple minutes and it scratched off easily after that. :-)