Sealing ipe ends

I am making up a tabletop of ipe. I have read that the ends need to be seal to prevent splitting.
I usually use a black pitch made for roof repairs (because I happen to have a can of it I need to use up) but it doesn't seem appropriate here. Would paste wax, shellac, or varnish work?

Any of the above, but I'd only use wax as a temporary solution while working with the boards. You're just trying to prevent the wood from drying out from the end grain, so whatever you're using as a finish would probably do the trick.