sealing end grains on gate / compressor bleed out

You think? Seems sunk ships rust... I have always known water to have oxygen in it.

Reply to
Leon

My water tank should last forever, it is always full. :-)

Reply to
FrozenNorth

I don't live near the ocean, but on the rivers where I live, steel coal barges don't rust as much under water than along the water line where lots of oxygen is present.

Reply to
Jack Stein

Ever try breathing under water? Certainly water contains oxygen, the question I have is does metal rust faster under water with small amounts of oxygen or under damp conditions, with lots of oxygen available?

I have no clue what the inside of my tank looks like. If it ever fails, maybe tomorrow, maybe in another 30 years, perhaps I'll cut the sucker in half and see where it rusted.

Reply to
Jack Stein
.

The water heater in the house I grew up in lasted close to 100 years. It was an indirect heating system where the burner and the coils were separate from the storage tank. The tank did nothing but store hot water. I'd bet that tank was not glass lined like a modern hot water heater, but I really don't know. I haven't gotten more than 10 years out of a water heater, but like my compressor, I just use it, no maintenance whatsoever.

Reply to
Jack Stein

Water is composed hydrogen and oxygen atoms. Rust is not an atomic chemistry level reaction.

Water does **NOT** contain oxygen molecules unless some oxygen molecules have been disolved in it. This is why closed loop heating systems, made almost completely out of iron and steel pipe and fittings do not rust themselves out.

Ever try breathing under water? Certainly water contains oxygen, the question I have is does metal rust faster under water with small amounts of oxygen or under damp conditions, with lots of oxygen available?

I have no clue what the inside of my tank looks like. If it ever fails, maybe tomorrow, maybe in another 30 years, perhaps I'll cut the sucker in half and see where it rusted.

Reply to
Josepi

Many do not know the difference between atomic and molecular chemistry.

Pure water contains no oxygen molecules.

Lil Miss T'isn't to follow.

"Jack Stein" wrote in message news:i0aocu$djf$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org... I don't live near the ocean, but on the rivers where I live, steel coal barges don't rust as much under water than along the water line where lots of oxygen is present.

Reply to
Josepi

So sorry Jack I get really confused when the haze just slips over my low brow. A lack of water you know. Mybad! I meant to say I had some water during my break and found yes it has no oxygen but it has terrific amounts of salts which complement my acid personality so well I just had to leap to the computer to tell you! Now now can I join your group Jack can can I huh please please!

Deleted my bad.

"Jack Stein" wrote in message news:i0aocu$djf$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org... I don't live near the ocean, but on the rivers where I live, steel coal barges don't rust as much under water than along the water line where lots of oxygen is present.

Reply to
Josepi

oh do go on with the lame troll of poorly researched science. Using google and handbooks to make your post is doing it just like me. CopyCAT!

Better yet. Just tell me to STFU! You can kiss my ass if you like.

Josepi wrote:

Oh, really??? What, then, pray tell is oxidation???

Rust is Fe203, primarily an oxidation product of Fe and O2.

Which is, in fact, the case w/ virtually all water in contact w/ air as the solubility of O2 is reasonably high...

Where does the air entrained in hot water come from you think???

..

Mostly because they have controls to prevent the introduction of additional air and maintenance practices to remove what is in them...

Reply to
Josepi

--

Reply to
dpb

Superheated Oxygen! Now there is a stretch!! Get some smarts rube. You want to appear intelligent do some work on your posting. I am the boss of posting around here. You will obey!

John

Reply to
Josepi

Oxidation is when a substance combines with oxygen. This can be easily found with a search engine.

Josepi wrote:

Reply to
Josepi

You forgot the salt.

Reply to
Josepi

And indeed,

4 Fe + 3 02 --> 2 Fe2O3

--

Reply to
dpb

Which is not a scretch. Humid air going through the compression process will condense and form water as it cools and will have oxygen molecules in it. Just the thing needed to rust a tank.

Reply to
Leon

Sorry dpb

Be aware that you have been trolled by the cyber bully gang that frequents here.

M II / hopper / Mike / and a host of others

Best of luck

Josepi wrote:

Oh, really??? What, then, pray tell is oxidation???

Rust is Fe203, primarily an oxidation product of Fe and O2.

Which is, in fact, the case w/ virtually all water in contact w/ air as the solubility of O2 is reasonably high...

Where does the air entrained in hot water come from you think???

..

Mostly because they have controls to prevent the introduction of additional air and maintenance practices to remove what is in them...

Reply to
Josepi

Sorry djb I forgot to hand you the Message Identity for the post I made giving the list. here it is: Message-ID: Some history I have made there? LOL LOL LOL LOL

horse shit deleted

Josepi wrote:

Oh, really??? What, then, pray tell is oxidation???

Rust is Fe203, primarily an oxidation product of Fe and O2.

Which is, in fact, the case w/ virtually all water in contact w/ air as the solubility of O2 is reasonably high...

Where does the air entrained in hot water come from you think???

.

Mostly because they have controls to prevent the introduction of additional air and maintenance practices to remove what is in them...

Reply to
Josepi

Not my post.

-------------

You forgot the salt.

Reply to
Josepi

Not mine

Troll clone

----------------

Superheated Oxygen! Now there is a stretch!! Get some smarts rube. You want to appear intelligent do some work on your posting. I am the boss of posting around here. You will obey!

John

Reply to
Josepi

oH yes it is!! sorry I am getting all muddled again and again and again!

Not my post.

You forgot the salt.

Reply to
Josepi