Sealing edge of particle board

Page 3 of 3
On Wed, 7 Sep 2016 12:24:14 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

You didn't read the initial post? It's quoted right at the top of your reply - but I will repeat it for you. Quoted from the OP:
"My husband and I have carpeted stairs made of paticle board. I'd like to ditch the carpet, scrape out the staples, fill those particle boards and paint the stairs."
Remove the carpet and the step hight is no longer "to code" if it was before. Replacing the carpet with a stair tread cap brings it back to spec.
You guys have WAY too much spare time if you have to argue such arcane points - without reading what you are complaining about even - - - -
On Wednesday, September 7, 2016 at 8:19:39 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Maybe I missed it again. Please point out where it says the carpet has already been removed.

I read exactly what it says and didn't assume anything that wasn't written. They *have* (present tense) carpeted stairs, they would *like to* (a desire to do something sometime in the future) remove it.
On 9/7/2016 7:55 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I think you might be being a bit AR here. We all know that the carpet is or was there. But after removal she wants to know how to deal with the PB steps. And for that matter, if they don't remove the carpet to some degree it would be hard to determine that particle board is under the carpet. A N D that seems to no longer be a mystery.
On Wednesday, September 7, 2016 at 9:43:34 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

Yeah, but Clare likes it when I'm AR. You can tell by how excited he gets. ;-)
On 9/7/2016 10:34 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Snip

;~)
On 9/7/2016 10:34 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

LMAO ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Did you make your wife sign a "Roommate agreement"?
On Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 7:53:18 PM UTC-4, J. Clarke wrote:

32 years ago we agreed to a number of things. We're still happily agreeing to them.
Knock knock knock, Penny. Knock, knock, knock, Penny. Knock, knock, knock, Penny.
On Thu, 8 Sep 2016 18:06:09 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Who's Penny?
On Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 9:56:09 PM UTC-4, krw wrote:

If you have to ask that question then you probably didn't get the reference to the Roommate Agreement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJDeZIMoEUw

On 9/6/16 1:38 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I don't no and don't care. :-) I posted it as a response to what I thought was an absurd question. There is no way on earth the painted particle board won't look like $h!t no matter how much work they put into it. And if by some miracle from the Bondo gods they got it smooth and hard enough to look good, the time and energy could've been spent tearing out the particle board and doing it right.
--

-MIKE-

No fillers, no paint. I covered a set of stairs with a good laminate. Fifteen years and no maintenance later it looks as good as the day installed.

FWIW the OP did not mention what the stairs should look like completed, just what filler to use and what kind of paint.
Particle board obviously holds up, it has done so up to this point. A good deck should provide wear protection, like the carped did.
I would not do this as I would like the stairs to look good but who knows, maybe these stairs go down to an unfinished basement.