Sealer on top of minwax stain?

My son and I made a skateboard ramp from 2x4s and cheap plywood.
It will be stored outside and needs to survive for 2-3 years.
This is definitely a "cheap" product, I just do not want it to rot or plywood to delaminate prematurely.
We already stained this ramp with minwax oil stain.
Do I need to apply sealer on top of minwax?
If so, which one? Also oil based?
thanks
On 08/28/2016 3:20 PM, Ignoramus10118 wrote:

Yeah, the stain is only a stain, not a finish.

Well, for the stated purpose, I'd've just gone for paint but since you already stained it, use a good _exterior_ spar varnish. I'm not sure Minwax makes any products for exterior use otomh; I use the old original stain and the oil finish quite a lot but have never been at all impressed with any of their other products.
If it's not exterior ply, I'd seriously consider putting a banding around the outer edges to further protect the plies; the end grain will be a sponge and the main problem.

Please forgive my confusion, but are there any oil based sealers? That should work on top of minwax?? Am I missing anything?
thanks
On 8/28/2016 5:44 PM, Ignoramus10118 wrote:

Yes, most all, but few except for a "Spar" vanish will holed up to ultraviolet sun rays. "Opaque" finishes hold up best when exposed to sun light.
On 08/28/2016 5:44 PM, Ignoramus10118 wrote: ...

Varnishes are oil-based (well, yes, there are now some water-based as well, but unlike paint, oil-based varnishes are still widely available).
They will adhere to the Minwax stain just fine; the "spar" in spar varnish indicates it is formulated for exterior and marine use; the difference between it and "ordinary" exterior varnishes is it is formulated to remain somewhat pliable when dry so it won't crack with underlying wood movement and also has UV inhibitors which is the bane of exterior (particularly clear) finishes.
If you're not wanting to paint, it's what you want...Epifanes Clear is my personal favorite for top-quality product..
<https://www.epifanes.com/page/clear-finishes
On 08/28/2016 3:20 PM, Ignoramus10118 wrote: ...
So, Iggy, did you "get 'er done?" How'd it end up turning out?
"Inquiring minds" and all that, ya' know... :)
On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 15:20:03 -0500

some are stain and sealer in one
but you might want to test how the wheels grip with these coatings before you apply them
also you may just want to invest in a tarp or two and cover it
and i hear that insurance companies are now scanning satellite photos programatically for trampolines and skateboard ramps
also some municipalities do the same and then come knocking asking for a permit or issuing a citation where ramps are not allowed
there are ways to check for the time of day when the satellites pass over head