SD608 Comments

From the archives - I gather the Freud Super Dado 608 isn't new at all. But the ads are running again in the mags. It sounds like they pulled if off the market, improved something and brought it back. Anyone know what they improved? (IOW, if I buy one, is there something to avoid on the early model?)

Reply to
js

The major thing to avoid is the price IMO. Compare to the Ridge Carbide dado set before you buy. I recently had the opportunity to compare the Ridge Carbide and Forrest dado sets at the Indianapolis woodworking show... and the Ridge set makes superior cuts. There's no discernible difference in the degree of tearout (pretty near non-existent with either set), and the Ridge set cuts slightly flatter bottoms. And it costs almost a _hundred_dollars_ less.

The review of dado sets in the September issue of Wood gives the price of the Freud SD608 as $290, and rates its performance slightly inferior to the Forrest, at $245. Wood did not test the Ridge Carbide set, but IMO it's slightly superior to the Forrest -- and I paid $159 for it, only a bit more than _half_ the cost of the Freud SD608.

Doug Miller