scrollsaws

Page 3 of 3
On Wed, 30 Sep 2015 11:38:38 -0700

how are scrollsaws with cutting thick material say 1.5-4 inches thick
maybe need a more agressive blade but how do scrollsaws in general perform with thicker stock
i just realized i have not seen any videos cutting thick stock
On 10/16/2015 11:42 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

not very good. I can't see 4 inches in a scroll saw. Yes for a band saw.
The largest stack of things I have cut is probably 1.5 inches thick. Basically you stack your wood, wrap it with packing tape (which lubricates and holds the stack together).
But 4".. NOT A SCROLL SAW.
--
Jeff

On 10/16/2015 8:42 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

They do not do very well. I have done 2 by stock (1.5 inches) and it was very slow going. The blade travel is not long enough to allow the saw dust to properly clear out of the gullets.
Dan
email.me:

Well, since a scroll saw is designed to cut curves, perhaps it's not surprising they don't cut straight.
My guess would be that the very thin blades cannot be tensioned enough to avoid flex. Even a thin bandsaw blade is much larger than a scroll saw blade, and a bandsaw frame is vastly stiffer than a scroll saw frame.
John
Professional scroll saws cut just fine. They raise the blade vertically and pull it down vertically. Most are 'donkey' slant saw blade actions.
The jigsaw blades are just not long enough and tough enough for 4".
Martin
On 10/16/2015 6:14 PM, John McCoy wrote:

On 10/16/2015 10:42 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

I don't think the stroke on a scroll saw will let the teeth clear with stock 1/2" or thicker.

Normally I do not cut very thick pieces but I have cut 2.5 inch thick on my DeWalt without a problem using a larger blade and going a bit slower. I have seen 3 inches thick cut on a DeWalt. Not sure about other scrollsaw brands. If I need thicker than 3 inches, I just move over to my 3-wheel tabletop bandsaw with a 1/4 inch blade.
Here are a some vids on various thick cutting...
https://youtu.be/D47Mortk5X4
https://youtu.be/YXW55S4X9zo
https://youtu.be/_PGXbgQTNv8

You also might want to check this out... http://scrollsawreviews.com/