scrollsaws

Page 2 of 3

I have a DeWalt and love it. It cuts thru everything I have thrown at it and keeps going great.
That said, I hope one day to upgrade to the Excaliber which are about double the price, but very well worth it imho, if you scroll a lot.
If you can find a good used Excaliber, Henger or RBI Hawk for a reasonable price, you would probably be very pleased. I don't know anyone with an Excalibur who isn't happy.
I got my DeWalt off a guy only selling it because he won an Excaliber and his wife wouldn't let him keep both in the house. He had health issues, on oxygen, and had to stay indoors.
As a side note, I have a small bandsaw (3-wheel gift from FiL) that I use to bulk cut wood for scrollsaw, carving or pyrography. It works well but no way it can do what the DeWalt can do in detail.
Hope that helps!
On Thu, 01 Oct 2015 14:24:49 -0400

the cheaper the better and i doubt i will want to upgrade later as this is really just for doing decorative features that are part of a larger whole piece
so mid-range but not garbage is what i am trying for
i think the delta 40-694 and dewalt 788 share some heritage
i watched a video on the 788 and the design of the saw action makes a lot of sense
the guy talked about the needle bearings drying out he used valvoline synthetic grease with a specially rigged grease gun it has 32 needle bearings
i saw another video of a guy assembling the 40-694 and they must be literally from the same mold and the delta $100 cheaper
On 10/1/2015 6:46 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

--
Jeff

On Thu, 1 Oct 2015 20:50:12 -0400

they look very similar but will have to look into it some more
the on/off and the tension adjuster look the same
and the base also looks the same i wonder do dewalt and delta share some past
Electric Comet wrote:

I would choose the Dewalt because I feel more confident that it would be better supported when I need replacement parts.

says...

Googling "delta vs dewalt scroll saw" found this <http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com/articles/scroll-saw-selection .
J. Clarke wrote:

That was interesting. Does Delta consider your local Dewalt service center their customers point of contact, like mine? Maybe give them a call and find out how it works in your locale? Ask them whether they stock any Delta parts. Actually, the service center might possibly be a place to check for a deal on a refurbished machine... Good luck! -Bill

Definitely up to you. After comparing and trying some different saws, I skipped the HF, Dremel, Craftsman, etc., in favor of the DeWalt.

They partially do. DeWalt is better imho. I have used both and know scrollers who have had both and prefer the DeWalt.

I've had mine now for 6-7 years and no bearing or other issues. There is a grease available for the DeWalt. I have not yet needed it.

Almost the same but the DeWalt, in many opinions, is better.
As I said, I got mine second hand and it runs like a champ. No issues yet whatsoever. I saved 50% buying used and don't regret it.
Good luck!
On Fri, 02 Oct 2015 10:32:31 -0400

one guy mentioned that the dewalt has a more aggressive cut and that makes it hard to use for delicate work

delta has really allowed their name to be tainted by not providing replacement parts for previous equipment
i read that everywhere
i have a delta bandsaw i bought used but was hardly used and it has not needed any parts but it seems like there are a lot of these saws out there so maybe parts can be had but that is another topic

you may have the right year like everything else they shipped all the work to asia and quality went down i read this in many places

there isn't a lot of info on the delta i think delta really will not recover from the bad reputation they have earned

i have no problem at all buying used my problem is that there are not many used for sale in the area
On 10/2/2015 11:08 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

IIRC that was on the Tiawaneese later built models, not the older models.

Delta is not really Delta as we all knew anymore. They are a lot like Rockwell. Rockwell once built a really great product 25+ years ago. Some one has bought the Rockwell name and sells their tools under the Rockwell name. The latest Delta owners manufacture a few machines here, including the latest Unisaw but a lot of their machines are being manufactured for them.

There are probably several OEM places to get parts.

Asian quality is what the importer specifies. SawStop and the Powermatic 2000 table saws are pretty much the standard these days and are top quality. Both are Asian build, USA designed. The Delta Unisaw was the standard for decades but QC and the bean counters let that slip away.

That may be true but there will be a new crop of those that don't know any better. Delta will probably follow in the footsteps as B&D & Rockwell riding on the name.

I did find someone who sold arbor wrenches for my '09 Unisaw. Delta sure doesn't. I bought two. ;-)

wants for the new one.

On 02/10/2015 9:47 PM, krw wrote:

General, a byword for quality, closed its foundry in Quebec and now manufactures in the Orient. Graham
On 10/2/2015 11:47 PM, krw wrote:

GOING??? they were one of the first to go. B&D put them into the low end category years ago. They used to be very good pro tools. Now dewalt is considered the higher end and PC is home use.

--
Jeff

I was thinking about the PC690 and the "aircraft carrier" dovetail jigs. You're right about the drills, saws, and stuff, though. Junk.
On 10/2/2015 2:19 PM, Leon wrote:

I have an old Rockwell Delta Scroll Saw and it is a tank.
http://jbstein.com/Flick/JigSaw.jpg
If you can find one like this, buy it. Been working perfect since around 1954. It has a 2 foot radius, can cut 2x stuff like butter, has a blower that amazingly still works after all these years (knock on wood), The blower is a must to keep the cutting area clean.
I personally don't use it all that often, but when you need one, it's great to have. There is no vibration either, of course I have it bolted to a cabinet, and itself is heavy cast iron.
--
Jack

That's like the industrial one my FiL had gotten from a closing shop. Wish I had been able to get it. I've seen a couple of those around the SS groups. Great for heavier or multiple cutting. Sadly I don't have the room for it.

Which is sad. Years ago I had to take my tablesaw apart to move it, and when I put it back together I found one of the odd shape spacer/bolt things that hold the fence rails had wandered off. I sent Delta a letter asking for the part number so I could order a replacement, and they sent me the part, gratis, just to keep me a happy customer.
John

I have an old Delta scroll saw that I bought out of the paper in about 1995 for $35. The table was rusty so I had it milled smooth again. Lost a couple thou in thickness. The spring head was missing so I called Delta, then in Tennessee, for parts. I didn't know the model as the only decal was unreadable. The woman in customer service asked for the large casting number on the overarm. When I gave it her she said, "oh yeah. That's a 40-205. Is the decal outline about 2 1/2" square?" Yep I said. She said, "it was made in '75. Is it sitting on a big sawhorse? They were sold with plans for the sawhorse." Mine is on the sawhorse. I ordered the parts I needed, all in stock. Paid about $200. The old Sears motor worked. It just needed a new cord and power switch. Cleaned it. Repainted Delta gray. It looks new except for the old timey looking sawhorse. Everything works great. Couple years ago I called to see if I could get the mechanical speed control - a spring loaded sheave that opens and closes to change the ratio with the driver. They didn't know what the hell I was talking about even though I had the part number. Customer service has changed.
Steve

My FiL had an old industrial shop Delta that I wanted to get and restore. Only thing missing was the stand which I see pop up on Craigslist every so often. Unfortunately my FiL passed away and his then wife slammed the door on family. Sold everything off. It would have been a great project to restore. His Delta bandsaw was old and beat up but still working solid. Old Delta was good Delta.
On 10/3/2015 10:51 AM, Casper wrote:

Old Delta was quality and, as others have mentioned, their customer service was truly that... SERVICE
My Delta/Milwaukee 14" bandsaw was acquired from a friend - it belonged to his late father - for $125 ca 1980.
It suffered from minor neglect - table rusted and tires crumbling. Other than that, it was in great shape. Called Delta down in Tennessee and told them what I had and what I thought I needed. Lady there asked me if I had a manual (nope!) and copied one from their archives and sent it to me along with the tires I'd ordered and a note telling me that the saw was manufactured in August 1945, 5 months before I was born.
Great saw that still hums along merrily and is as solid as a rock.