Scroll saw table

I'm looking for stand for my scroll saw. The ones I see for sale are basically just metal rod constructions that are usually a tripod.

I was thinking that having a regular table would work as fine. That way I could have drawers for my jigs and blades. But is there some reason that scroll saw stands are made the way they are?

I don't know yet if I'll find sitting or standing to be better. Sitting on a nice sturdy high chair might be best. One thing that concerns me is having space for my legs.

Could anyone give me some pointers on what does or doesn't make for a good scroll saw table?

Thanks!

Jack

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

Mine is very simple, but it works. 3/4" MDF on a frame made of 2x4s. Legs are 2x6s cut on an angle. It doesn't move or shake. My saw is the Dremel. I made the stand low ... desk height ... so that I can sit in a chair with a back to saw.

That's the one way my setup is better than my dad's Hawk.

I'd consider adding a box of rocks or other weight to the bottom to give it some more weight, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Reply to
JimBrowninPA

IMHO:

1- find the chair you are going to use when you scroll saw. 2- find the magnification lens / light you are going to use. 3- find the location in your shop where you will use the chair, lamp, and saw and of course AC power. 4- make sure you get a foot ON/OFF switch for your saw, and there is a comfortable place to operate the foot switch 5- Now find the best height for the SAW's TABLE to be at so you don't get a sore neck, back, or leg cramp yet afford a good view of the project and blade. 6- Then figure out the height of the table to get the SAW's TABLE where it needs to be. 7- Then design your table with adjustable height feet for leveling.
  1. and don't forget it is 10:1 ratio (10 lbs weight for every 1 lb of saw) to reduce vibration. Cement block is cheap.

{and if you are a typical newbie, now wait until you new table is built and then find out if you made it just slightly larger you could have built in a simple blade storage as part of the design. Most use just 1/4 inch PVC pipe with end caps. Say about 10 or twelve blade storage tubes.}

But enjoy the table building, don't stress out. It is just a hobby.

Phil

Reply to
Phil

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote in message news:wOidnd_AEISBQRDenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

3 leg tables do not rock.
Reply to
Leon

Low CG's do not tip.

Rubber feet isolate the vibration to the saw itself. I wouldn't do it.

Reply to
George