Scroll Saw Recommendations

I'd like to replace an aging Delta Shopmaster saw with something much, much better. Any recommendations on a serious mid to high end scroll saw would be appreciated.
Mike wrote:

Mid-range would be the DeWalt DW788 - x $500
A high end would be either Hegner or Excalibur - up to x $2,500
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Didn't Hegner go out of business?? I have used the Hegner and they are excellent machines. Pricy, but nice.
Lee Michaels wrote:

If they've gone out of business I wasn't aware of it. A Google search shows the saws are still being sold by Advanced Machinery.
http://www.advmachinery.com/default.asp?pg=products&grp $
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Nova wrote:

Just another thought... RBI Hawk used to be another excellent scroll saw. They are OOB. Could it be them you were thinking of?
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

lamenting the loss of a high end scroll saw manufacturer. Maybe somebody went bankrupt and were able to keep manufacturing under the bankruptcy reorganization.
Nova wrote:

What, Laguna doesn't make a scroll saw? :-)
--

-MIKE-

Ok, so I suppose that I'm really interested in a good mid range saw then. No way I'm paying more for a scroll saw than my table saw!!!
Any other contenders beyond the Dewalt?
Note the post said up to $2,500, do a web search for both Hegner and Excalibur and you will find several models some of which are just a bit more than the DeWalt.
BTY it is RBI Hawk that is out of business, they went under and sold off all their assets at auction. There is a rumor in the Yahoo Scrollsaw group that the buyer of the assets may try to get the business going again. I sure hope so, I have a RBI Hawk and think it is one of the best scroll saws out there.
Also for more opinions try the Yahoo Scrollsaw group.
Russ

Mike wrote:

I my opinion, new in the $500 price range, No.
'Course there's always used... Usually someone who's willing to spend $1,000 - $2,500 takes pretty good care of them.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 14:19:26 -0700, Mike wrote:

Not really. IIRC, the reviews on the DeWalt said it was 90-95% as good as the high-priced spreads. I know there's so little vibration you can do the nickle on edge trick. When I worked at Woodcraft, they had several used in the classroom. I left after 3 years and AFAIK all were still humming away.

Seems like there are a bunch of low end saws around $100 and then nothing until you get to $500 for the DeWalt. I was hoping to find something decent for around $200 - $250. I don't use a scroll saw enough (maybe 3-4 times per year) to justify spending $500.
Checked on Ebay for used, found a few Dewalts selling for around $250-300, then when you factor in shipping, the price approaches the point where it would make more sense to by the new one.

There is Proxxon DSH/E at 250 USD. I have it and it works for me but I think that it may be worst of all Proxxon tools. I had these 3 choices here in Finland 1) cheap ones 2) this Proxxon 3) Hegner at about 1000 USD (600 euros from germany with delivery). I would have taken the Dewalt if it was sold in Finland.
seismo malm
I agree on DeWalts. Love mine for a year now. Picked it up used but completely refurbished for $250 and it runs great. So glad I skipped the Dremel for $200. DeWalt is a way better machine imho. `Casper

I am new to scroll sawing and probably don't have enough years left to get really good at sawing. Have a used Craftsman that seems to work pretty good, variable speed motor. What is it that makes these high dollar machines so much better, since they all use the same blades?
Thanks, Bob-tx

Greatly depends on the amount of money you have to spend. Take a look at DeWalt, not the best/worst.