scroll saw craziness

I have a older craftsman 16" scroll saw and it is doing something that I think is wrong. When I turn it on it hits the inside of the upper arm on the up stroke. So instead of whiz,whiz,whiz as it runs, its, whiz,BANG,whiz,BANG. This is a pin style scroll saw. I'd appreciate any tips on what to do. I think I got the tension too tight the first time I used it because I snapped the blade.

Troy

Reply to
Troy

The noise and the snapped blade tell you that there is a major mechanial problem with the saw. Study the manual that came with the machine for clues as to which part is malfunctioning. If you don't have a manual order one from Sears because you likely will need repair parts. You could get more specific clues to the problem if you posted a picture or model number. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Dewalt's will do this from time to time. There is a tensioning rod inside the arm that needs adjusting. In the Dewalt do the following: Craftsman will be different.

Stopping the knock on the Dewalt: The problem is the tensioning rod slapping the upper arm housing. Take your manual with the exploded drawing of the upper arm and table and follow these instructions. Loosen and remove the on/off switch assembly (four Torx bolts), this will give you access to the cam that adjusts the tension, #26. With an alien key remove bolt #52 and cam #26. Remove four Torx screws holding the head assembly, #44. This will give you access to the tensioning rod, #24. Move the head assembly out from the arm to allow free access to the tensioning rod. The tensioning rod screws into a fitting, #23 buried deep inside the saw arm. To eliminate the knocking noise you need to adjust the tensioning rod, #24 counter clockwise (lengthen). Try one full turn, re-assemble and see if it solves the problem. If not repeat this procedure in one full turn increments until the knocking goes away. It should only take about one full turn to solve the problem. Hope this helps.

Reply to
tdup2