scroll saw alternatives

Is there any type of tool on the market that I could use to cut out small wooden designs from some of the thicker balsam woods or thin pine? Want to cut shapes such as stars, reindeer, etc. Either something hand held or a small scroll saw? Tried experimenting with a neighbor's scroll saw and it was too much for me to handle.. Tried using my dh's Dremel, but the cut was too wide and I went to Lowe's and HD and was told no Dremel bit would make a clean cut so that is out. Thanks Liz
Does it need to be powered?
How about a coping saw? Depth of cut about 6". Doesn't cut any faster then you want it to either.
Roy
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes:

A fret saw.

... like http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&pE654&cat=1,42884 Are these not common household items, or at least tools used at school almost everywhere?
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Are we talking about a hand held scroll saw or a bench mounted scroll saw?
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
On 25 Jan 2006 13:11:18 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

If you don't need to make internal cuts there are small band saws. You may find it easier than a scroll saw because of the larger blade and only downward motion of the blade. The larger blade doesn't require as much technique, but can't make as tight of curves. Have a look at the Rikon 10" at woodcraft.com.
There are small scroll saws, such as the Microlux at micromark.com.
-Leuf

If you get a decent scroll saw and give your self a little (won't take long) time to get used to it I'll betcha you'll find it just as easy (maybe easier) as driving a sewing machine. They are really a piece of cake to operate, my 8 yr old grand son loves to cut out stuff on mine. I have it drilled into his head that if there is a problem, just let go and hit the switch. I make sure he has safety goggles on. RM~
PS, My parents gave me a Craftsman 36 in jig saw for Xmas when I was 9.
I've never used one, but the Micromark mini jigsaw seems like it might work well. Anyone here ever use one of these?
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action talog&Type=Product&ID226
Also, there are some other ones reviewed here:
http://www.jkstacydesigns.com/minireview.html
Josh

Cool! Runs off a transformer! You can even get a car adaptor for it....for that scroll project on the go, or whilst in gridlock.
I think you can add attachments for beard, nose, and ear hair trimming as well.