Scroll saw

Looking to add a scroll saw to my shop. Would like bevel in excess of the 45 degree max I have seen in my admittedly cursory search. Seems like ther e are a couple at the $100 or less price point then a jump to $450 and up. Anyone have thoughts on this one from HF? http://www.harborfreight.com/16 -inch-variable-speed-scroll-saw-93012.html. Or this one from Sears: http:// www.sears.com/craftsman-16-variable-speed-scroll-saw-21602-/p-00921602000P
Thanks,
Larry
"Gramps' shop" wrote in message
Looking to add a scroll saw to my shop. Would like bevel in excess of the 45 degree max I have seen in my admittedly cursory search. Seems like there are a couple at the $100 or less price point then a jump to $450 and up. Anyone have thoughts on this one from HF? http://www.harborfreight.com/16-inch-variable-speed-scroll-saw-93012.html. Or this one from Sears: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-16-variable-speed-scroll-saw-21602-/p-00921602000P
Thanks,
Larry, After reading the BAD reviews I would not buy either. Are there not better brands out there? A cheap tool is not worth the hassle too use. WW
On 9/1/2013 12:08 AM, Gramps' shop wrote:

I bought a Delta scroll saw about 22 years ago. POS it was... IIRC it was $130.
IMHO you don't want to scrimp if you intend to use it regularity. Blades break often so the ones that are the fastest to change will be the one you will want to use more.

I certainly would not waste my money on one from HF. The craftsman one is marginally better. If you need to go that cheap, I recommend finding a used Dremel.
That being said, you'd be better off finding a used DeWalt or Delta. A way better machine that will last you for years. I have a DeWalt and love it. Rock solid machine I bought second hand for $200. I've had it for over four years and it's still going strong. All it needed when I got it was a little elbow grease to clean up the light rust from the table top. One of the best deals I've gotten.
One day I will upgrade to an Excalibur but that's another story.
On Sun, 01 Sep 2013 10:11:24 -0400, Casper wrote:

I'll second the DeWalt. Best scroll saw for the money. There are a couple that are better but the prices are up over $1000. The DeWalt is almost as good for less money - as low as $400 f0r a reconditioned one or $500 and up for a new one.
carrying a cross.
On 9/1/2013 10:11 AM, Casper wrote:

I have the dewalt, I picked it up at a garage sale for $85... it's awesome. Smooth as silk..
--
Jeff

On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 22:08:34 -0700, Gramps' shop wrote:

saw-93012.html.

p-00921602000P

I have a Craftsman like the one in the link, it's ok for occasional use but you will be happier with a better quality saw.
It is cheap in every sense of the word.
Blades changes are slow and difficult.
In order to dampen the vibrating, it should be fastened to a something that weighs several hundred pounds.
It does provide one with a great sense of relief, when the job is done.
basilisk
On 9/1/2013 10:36 AM, basilisk wrote:

LOL I for got about the vibration that the cheap ones have. Put foam rubber on the bottom and you have yourself a back massager! LOL
On Sun, 01 Sep 2013 10:47:55 -0500, Leon wrote:

You can stand a nickel on edge on the DeWalt while it's running :-).
carrying a cross.
On 9/1/2013 12:16 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

No doubt, If I were to get another it would probably be a DeWalt.
As for the nickle tent on my old Delta, you could lay the coin face down, turn on the saw, and watch the coin flip face up.
Well that might a bit of an exaggeration. ;~O)
I tried the HFT one a few years ago. everything seemed to vibrate loose quickly. I returned it after about 48 hours. Now it is possible it was operator error as this was the first and only scroll saw I used.