scroll saw

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am thinking of buying a scroll saw. What would any of you recommend, as far as best quality/low price. I know there are high priced saws, but I want to stay within my meager budget.

Thanks, Smitty

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Reply to
papadoo1

Sun, Feb 18, 2007, 7:28pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com doth burble: but I want to stay within my meager budget.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, sure, right. Then why didn't you even think to say what your budget is? Most people here don't read minds, and the few that do aren't talking..

JOAT When in doubt, go to sleep.

- Mully Small

Reply to
J T

It would help greatly if you would say what your budget is. There are, of course, people on here that are going to say that nothing but top of the line will do. Not the case. I have occasional use for a scroll saw but not enough to drop $1000.00 on one. I have a Dremel. It does a good job. I'm pretty satisfied with it.

Reply to
CW

Most bang for the buck is the DeWalt but it is not the least expensive. I had the small Delta VS 16" for many years and you can do good work it but it does vibrate and the blade change setup is less than ideal for fret work. I believe the model # for that saw was 40-560 and that it has ben discontinued and replaced with a similar sized, hopefully improved model. I have not used one but Dremel makes 2 models that look pretty good, I believe one is 18" with a small disk sander built in. IIRC it's in the $250 range. The other is comparable to the 16" Delta and in the same price range.

Reply to
Larry W

I have the DeWalt and I really like it. Even the careless movers didn't break it.

-j

Reply to
jerm

G'day Smitty, I started with a Ryobi About $100.00 Au Good value for money but had to spend anther few bob on pinless blade clamps. The Allen key used to change blades was a pain. Next came a Delta variable speed, roughly $250.00 Au. The tooless blade clamps and variable speed was like stepping into another world after the Ryobi. Now I have Dewalt 20" variable speed, Near enough to $800.00 Au. but worth every penny. Not just another world but another dimension.

Hope this gives you a bit of hand out.

Regards John

Reply to
John B

The DeWalt DW788 is a good saw. Don't know if it's price qualifies as high or low...

Reply to
name

I saw one that a guy made from a dryer moter, some springs, nylon cord and wood. Look in your stack of old fine Woodworking magazines. Maybe a 15 years old or older. He said it works real well and had either a

2" or 3" stroke.
Reply to
Jim Behning

Before I did that I'd make _sure_ I couldn't do what I wanted to with a fretsaw.

Reply to
J. Clarke

No argument there, but the reviews I've read say the DeWalt is almost as good with a lot lower price. I bought the DeWalt. I don't do a lot of scroll sawing but it's worked great for me when I did need it.

I've even tried standing a nickle on edge on the table while running the saw. Only time it fell over was when I hit it with the wood I was sawing :-).

P.S. Doesn't work with the "new" nickle.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

There can be, if you make it yourself, and don't consider the cost of your time.

If you do value your time then there is the old adage:

Good, fast, cheap. Pick any two.

Reply to
fredfighter

Most Bang for the Bucks: DeWalt 788 ***Don't buy used from EBay-- Short time frame a while ago some 788's had bad tables. Center of table around the blade hole was several Thousands below rest of table. I think the factory overseas corrected the manufacturing error by now. DeWalt, by all reports that I know about, replaced table under warranty to original owners.

Stay away from Sears Craftsman line of scroll saw. Too much vibration. Same for Harbor Freight.

For inexpensive saws, look at Delta SS250, or SS350. Be aware that there is a common "pilot error" in installing blades such that the back of the blade is not at 90 degrees to table (front to back.) Installing the blade at a slightly 7 to 10 degrees off perpendicular causes all kinds of cutting problems. Some very angry and frustrated owners blame Delta of poor design of blade clamps that allow this common "pilot error." Think about it, two or three hours of work being turned into firewood because of incorrect replacement blade installation. Install blade correctly, you have a good saw for the money.

If you are looking for saws under $100.00 USD, in a home improvement store, you are on your own.

Phil

Reply to
Phil-in-MI