Screws That Break

Page 2 of 2
Soap causes the screw to rust. Use wax max

Soap is hydrophylic, it attracts/holds water, which would promote the screw to corrode OR the wood to rot
John
On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 21:30:55 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@pmug.org (Glenna Rose) wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@bendcable.com writes:

Been reading this thread and I've seen no one mention something Ron Hazelton showed on his program. Drill a hole down the middle of the broken screw, then use the screw extractor bit (not as mentioned above) to remove the screw. The s.e.b. is a reverse bit that backs the screw out of the hole. Of course, when he showed it, it worked very well.
Glenna
Glenna Rose wrote:

Not easy to do on a #6 screw. Heck, the wood envelopes it and you can't even see the shaft anymore. Plus the Easy-Outs I've seen don't go down to that small of a diameter. You might back it out if you are able to drill it with the left handed drill bit.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.comcast.dot.net writes:

Groan. I just used it on nearly all of the screws I put in the two bookshelves I gave my middle son and daughter-in-law for Christmas. :-(
On the good side, the shelf units are painted so maybe it'll never matter.
Oh, well. Lesson learned. (And it's not like I didn't have wax!)
Glenna