Screws That Break

Groan. I just used it on nearly all of the screws I put in the two bookshelves I gave my middle son and daughter-in-law for Christmas. :-(

On the good side, the shelf units are painted so maybe it'll never matter.

Oh, well. Lesson learned. (And it's not like I didn't have wax!)

Glenna

Reply to
Glenna Rose

Or easier still: get a white parafin candle, rub the screws on it before using them, drive them in.

Cheap, works. Don't use parafin if you intend to do fine finishing, though: it sometimes stuffs up the finish. Use bee's wax.

Reply to
Noons

Not easy to do on a #6 screw. Heck, the wood envelopes it and you can't even see the shaft anymore. Plus the Easy-Outs I've seen don't go down to that small of a diameter. You might back it out if you are able to drill it with the left handed drill bit.

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

Soap causes the screw to rust. Use wax max

Reply to
max

Soap is hydrophylic, it attracts/holds water, which would promote the screw to corrode OR the wood to rot

John

Reply to
John