Screws sheared while mounting bed rail hardware. Help?

Page 2 of 2
Lee Michaels wrote:

Yes, that's what I did. I hadn't even thought about buying threaded inserts at a big box store. I didn't think there was a chance they even sold the things, or knew what they were. I was shocked they had the things.
But if I want the job done right, with quality

Sure, thats how you get burnt by paying 12 times more than you should. I know for a hobbyist, it can be next to impossible to find quality products at a reasonable price. All the big box and most of the remaining hardware stores sell junk, pre packaged like 4 to a package, and charge an arm and a leg. Just finding a box of 100 for an item like screw inserts is a treat,particularly when they cost almost the same as FOUR.
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
"Jim Willemin" wrote:

Piece of cake.
Form a small hole saw from a steel tube, the drill out the material around the screw.
This is not a time to be dainty.
Think of yourself as the mad dentist in pursuit of tooth decay.
When you have the hole cleaned out, mix up some epoxy putty (epoxy/micro-balloons), pour it in the holes until just proud.
Allow 2-3 days to cure, then sand smooth and drill pilot holes for some S/S, coarse thread, sheet metal, self tapping screws that you get at a good hardware store.
Once assembled, a flying red horse won't see it from 1,000 ft.
Lew
I am guessing that the screws are probably lesser quality metal, so I would drill them out and plug the hole with an oak dowel and redrill slightly larger holes for a new higher quality stainless steel screw.
I had to repair some holes in the back of a guitar neck once when they did not align with the backing plate. I drilled them out on the drill press with a forstner bit and then filled the hole with a dowel and redrilled the new holes. Worked like a champ.
Jim Willemin wrote:

As some have mentioned already: WAX your screws. I use mostly paste wax. You can also buy screw wax from Rockler that is a very soft wax.
As for screw extraction. Can you adjust the position of the hardware and re-drill a new pilot hole?
--
Brian
www.garagewoodworks.com
Garage_Woodworks wrote:

As the poster mentioned in his original query, he already waxed them and it didn't help.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
Jim Willemin wrote:

FWIW, I was in Sears today and noticed that their "micro drill out" screw extractor kit is supposed to work on screws down to #5. Item number is 952158 and order page is http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00952158000P?vName=Tools.
I would be very surprised if it actually worked (there are no reviews on the Sears site), but it might be worth a try.
--John
(Amazon.com product link shortened)

Myxylplyk wrote:

Sears carries those as well. The manufacturer recommends them for screws with damaged heads and for _free_ _spinning_ broken screws. http://www.aldn.com/prograbit /
--John
Funny you should ask this question now. I just left a Glen Huey seminar sponsored by my local WW Guild. We talked about screws. Glen tested drywall screws, home depot screws (e.g., Crown), McFeeley and Spaxx. Drove 25 screws of each into red oak with no pilot. 5 of the drywall screws twisted off. None of the McFeeley and Spaxx screws twisted off. Guess how many of the Home Depot screws twisted off? ALL of them. His advice - NEVER buy furniture screws from the Borg. Go with McFeeley and Spaxx. They cost less than the Borg (excluding the shipping) and are far superior. Drywall screws have a #6 shank on a #8 head. They are not designed for use in furniture. Surprised more of them did not snap.
Bob

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Not living on your continent things look a little different from my p.o.v. but yeah - Chinese potmetal screws have started replacing other makes off the shelves here, too. >8-(
Funny thing is, some of the best screws I have at the moment are 'Gib' branded drywall screws. (Unfortunately) these are 'waferhead' screws - so they look like they have a washer integrated into the screw head. They were sold to me to attach sound-proofing grade drywall to profiled sheetmetal rails and they are so hard that I have not yet managed to munge a single head with my phillips bits nor have I managed to twist one off yet. Used about 1/2 the box of 1000 so far. There seem to be different grades of drywall screws out there.
Agree on Spaxx, so far as I can get them they at least have hardened heads.
I've mostly worked around the issue by using s/s screws nearly exclusively these days but even there there are huge differences in quality. Some s/s screws are very soft and do twist off in hard woods as well.
-P.
bob wrote:

Proof that even China can make good screws if they want. My guess is when McFeeley's contracts with China they specify a higher quality than the Borg
Guess how

I agree that lots of stuff at the Borg is way, way, way over priced. Just like all other discount places, some things are given away, while others are next to stealing. Paying over $5 for 4 threaded inserts (made in China) at Lowe's vs paying TWELVE TIMES LESS at Grainger is a perfect example.
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com