Screwed up screw holes

Page 2 of 2

Zz Yzx wrote:

I think it is not so much the tapered plug as the pointed reamer that will follow a screw-hole much easier than a drill bit. I think a drill bit with a conical tip would have been more ideal but harder to make.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
On 9/22/2010 7:08 AM, Gerald Ross wrote:

Any twist-drill has a conical tip. There are also the special tapered bits intended for old-fashioned wood screws.

It's a 'locking taper'; pressing the plug self-clamps it when you glue it into place. The hole, too, is going to be a more accurate shape than with a standard twist drill doing a cylindrical hole. The conical cutter isn't as quick, doesn't pull chips out as fast, but it makes an accurate mating surface and is insensitive to the guidance of the drill. Center drills for machining metal are likewise more accurate in hole shape than twist drills.

Lee Valley.

Yeah, they were OK, but they didn't work any better than doweling.
I keep a length of 1/4" dowel in the truck and use that when I need to repair a client jamb. 1/4" drill, spot of TiteBond II, tap it in, flushcut it, drill a new screwhole, insert screw. 10 minutes for a permanent, professional fix.
For those clients who wish me to think of them in a Chinese curse, I keep a short length of 3/8" dowel in the truck, too.
They're the type who think "Maybe a couple thousand more revolutions with my Crapsman drill and a 3" drywall screw will make it catch."
-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Stock #C5 50 Wood Screwhole Restorer Cones Adhesive Activated Natural Wood
use reamer tool to enlargen old hole wet tapered plug wait 30-seconds to activate adhesive pound it in "Repair is now complete"
Northway Enterprises Inc Moose Lake, MN 55767
I'ts been so long, I have no idea which catalog/store it came out of. I've used it maybe 3 times but, lucky for you, most recently this past weekend!! Comes with a hollow-handled reamer tool and maybe a dozen cones. I think I bought extra, but obviously never needed 'em since my little plastic drawer is still almost full.
john