Screwdriver bits for brace

Reading an old book on boatbuilding, the writer says the _best_ tool for removing old corroded screws, or any tricky screwing operation is a screwdriver bit in an old brace (brace & bit cranked hand drill thing). Sounds like just what I need, but a quick search reveals no source. Were these items once manufactured? Are they still available? Posi also? in the uk? with the old square section tapered shank for locking into the chuck of the brace? Or can the brace be adapted to take a hexagonal shanked bit?

Tim w

Reply to
Tim W

Not sure what kind of brace you have or talking about, but the old one my father had, used three teeth to grab any round bit or something with 3 sides. It also held the bit with the V notch in them that locked into place on those tools designed to use them.

Reply to
Upscale

Still pretty much common in good old Europe. See e.g.

No. 707182

regards Matthias

Tim W wrote:

Reply to
Matthias Muehe

Why not just chuck a common bit into your drill motor and go at it? Brace and bit might have been the appropriate tool years ago, but a decent motor with a tech adapter in it is the modern day equivalent.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Hello, here is your catagory for eBay, in England:

Tools & Hardware> Tools> Carpentry/ Woodworking

There, you can see your catagory links on your left, and you can select "UK only" in a drop down.

Braces are usually two jawed (98% of them), and the bits have a tapered square head. Just search through all the pages until you find screwdriver bits and a brace you want, the best ever made are Yankee Bell system by North Bros., and later the same by Stanley, as long as it is a Yankee. The model Nos. are 2101 and the better 2100, 10" swing (5" depth) size is most common. As I see it, you have braces available there, and drill bits.

The two jawed chuck will also accept shanks that do not have the tapered square head, as long as it is set in deep enough, so you could cut the handles off a couple of old screwdrivers, not skinny ones. For drill bits you will need a bit sharpening file if you buy them used. Only that file is properly designed for the job, made by Nicholson and available at Lee Valley, or needle files and small sharpening stones.

Here is an adapter you can get from the US,

will take 1/4" hex bits that are common, adapted to the brace chuck.

has a brace and the best bits that are new, but those prices are beyond, I wouldn't do it.

If you can get someting like Craftsman "screw outs", they could probably work in a brace as well:

don't know if Craftsman is sold over there, check axminster for them.

Good luck,

Reply to
AAvK

I fear I must disagree with that. A power drill is no substitute for a brace when it comes to what the OP is talking about. With a brace, it is easier to apply force parallel to the screw to keep the bit in the screw head; easier to tweak it out too since the rotation is as slow as one wants.

Reply to
dadiOH

You *don't* want a cranked hand drill for that, you want a brace. Screwdriver bits for same can be found at most any marine supplier such as Jamestown Distributors. Wouldn't surprise me if Vermont American and/or Irwin still makes them, should find things made by them at most any hardware store which should be able to order. No real need though, you can chuck most any shape in a brace.

Reply to
dadiOH

This is also pretty good.

I saw an adapter for hex to brace somewhere, but can't turn it.

Reply to
George

Sorry to piggyback, but it appears that this will do at a reasonable price.

Wade reasonable? I suppose.

Reply to
George

Ah!... I didn't realise that. thanks

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W

I don't know if Craftsman is sold over there, check axminster for them. >

Excellent, many thanks. I didn't make it clear I already have the brace. I hadn't thought of cutting the tip off a screwdriver. That is what I will do, except I will use a cheapy new one instead of a worn out old one.

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W

Right. Why not use a chain saw, or dynamite? ;-) I want to extract the old screws without breaking them or messing the heads.

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W

Were these items once manufactured?

Yes -- perhaps an old tool dealer might have some.

I don't know.

If worse comes to worse, You could take an old auger bit, cut off the drill section, and fashion the remaining shank into a screwdriver of the size and shape you need.

Joel Jacobson

Reply to
joeljcarver

Yes, make sure you have two inches that will go into the chuck, and then the length you need that comes out from the chuck. A full 5" total length is good. And when mounted, that chuck must be as tight as possible without being impossible to loosen.

Reply to
AAvK

You want the screwdriver bits that have a tapered square shank, designed to be used directly in a bit brace. I've seen them in slotted and Phillips, but never Posidrive. Stanley, Irwin, Millers Falls are typical manufacturers.

That said, though, I couldn't find them in any recent catalogs. They may have been discontinued. Perhaps eBay or one of the antique tool sellers will be your best source.

I'd stay away from the adapters that take the 1/4" hex bits. They are OK for smaller screws, but the hex bits just aren't up to the larger ones. Which are the ones you want the bit brace for.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

Don't fear it - I actually gave those two considerations some thought before I posted. Decided that the difference in force that one could apply to a brace versus a drill motor wasn't big enough to be concerned about, and that a decent variable speed motor will allow you to back a screw out with enough control. I know I've certainly fought many a stubborn screw out with my motor. In fact, it seems to me that it would be easier to maintain a well controlled angle with a drill motor which does not require you to bear into it while at the same time attempting to turn it.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

You seem to believe it's not possible to do so with a drill motor. Ok.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

In fact you might be right. But I wanted to test out the brace technique.

Tim w

Reply to
Tim W

Actually having experimented the chuck of my brace will hold an ordinary hexagonal magnetic driver bit-holder perfectly fast, so there is no neeed for a special bit and no need for cutting tips off of screwdrivers.I shouldn't even have posted the question here without checking this first.

tim W

Reply to
Tim W

Lee Valley.