Screw sizes. or Lag bolts going smaller too.

I was by Lowes to pick up some lag bolts, for a set of wheels to move my wood lathe. Thanks I think Leon for the video showing a perfect method.. pics later.

I saw the conversation on screws getting smaller. Well the lags are shrinking both in length and width too. Length has shrunk from previous screws by enough to raise my eyebrow. A

1 1/2 in screw previously measured 1 5/8 length (much older stock that I had), now measures 1 3/8 in length. The lag has also changed from 5/16 previously to 1/64 under.

Can't wait too see where we are going from here.

Reply to
woodchucker

I'll never use another lag bolt again when there are structural fasteners available that are stronger and made to much higher standards.

Reply to
-MIKE-

"screwed" by the Chinese bolt manufacturers

Reply to
clare

"Crown" screws are made in Indianapolis. I stopped in once to try to get something special. You want "How Many?" (LOL)

Reply to
Bill

------------------------------------------------ Think metric standardization.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Nope, not in this case. 5/16 is as close to 8mm as damn is to swearing. 7mm is not a "metric standard" The length mabee - 35mm, vs 1 1/2 at 38mm and 1 5/8 at 41 (plus or minus a few decimals)

Reply to
clare

Yep. Been quite a few years since I've bought a lag bolt from a Borg.

A structural screw like Spax or GRK, besides being hugely stronger in sheer force, has an added benefit in being easier to drive with a quality cordless drill.

Expensive, but well worth it in strength and labor savings.

Reply to
Swingman

These are what I buy if strength matters, and yeah you can get them at the borg. ;~)

Leon

And they're not what I call "single drive." Meaning, you can back one out and drive it back in without it breaking off like a lag bolt.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I love Spax. Next time you're there check out FastenMaster, if they're carried in your neck. I used this product on my "Sharn" and they were amazing...

Reply to
-MIKE-

Thanks. I think I have seen them on TOH recently.

Reply to
Leon

"Spax", by any other name...

;)

Reply to
Swingman

So SPAX doesn't fill the space on a wheel mounting plate like lags do. I don't need heavy structural, I want to fill the space as much as possible.

I don't want the length, just noticed it was much smaller when compared to an old lag.

And yep, spax are neat when used in the right application.

Reply to
woodchucker