Screw sizes. or Lag bolts going smaller too.

I was by Lowes to pick up some lag bolts, for a set of wheels to move my wood lathe. Thanks I think Leon for the video showing a perfect method.. pics later.
I saw the conversation on screws getting smaller. Well the lags are shrinking both in length and width too. Length has shrunk from previous screws by enough to raise my eyebrow. A 1 1/2 in screw previously measured 1 5/8 length (much older stock that I had), now measures 1 3/8 in length. The lag has also changed from 5/16 previously to 1/64 under.
Can't wait too see where we are going from here.
--
Jeff

On 2/11/15 9:00 PM, woodchucker wrote:

I'll never use another lag bolt again when there are structural fasteners available that are stronger and made to much higher standards.
--

-MIKE-

On 2/11/2015 9:06 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Yep. Been quite a few years since I've bought a lag bolt from a Borg.
A structural screw like Spax or GRK, besides being hugely stronger in sheer force, has an added benefit in being easier to drive with a quality cordless drill.
Expensive, but well worth it in strength and labor savings.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 2/12/2015 6:40 AM, Swingman wrote:

These are what I buy if strength matters, and yeah you can get them at the borg. ;~)
http://www.homedepot.com/p/SPAX-1-4-in-x-6-in-External-Hex-Flange-Hex-Head-Lag-Screw-4571010701527/202041039
On 2/12/15 8:12 AM, Leon wrote:

I love Spax. Next time you're there check out FastenMaster, if they're carried in your neck. I used this product on my "Sharn" and they were amazing... <http://www.fastenmaster.com/details/product/thrulok-screw-bolt-fastening-system.html
--

-MIKE-

On 2/12/2015 10:48 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

On 2/12/2015 8:12 AM, Leon wrote:

"Spax", by any other name...
;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 2/12/15 6:40 AM, Swingman wrote:

And they're not what I call "single drive." Meaning, you can back one out and drive it back in without it breaking off like a lag bolt.
--

-MIKE-

On 2/12/2015 7:40 AM, Swingman wrote:

I don't need heavy structural, I want to fill the space as much as possible.
I don't want the length, just noticed it was much smaller when compared to an old lag.
And yep, spax are neat when used in the right application.
--
Jeff

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

"Crown" screws are made in Indianapolis. I stopped in once to try to get something special. You want "How Many?" (LOL)
woodchucker wrote:

Think metric standardization.
Lew
On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 21:37:29 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

swearing. 7mm is not a "metric standard" The length mabee - 35mm, vs 1 1/2 at 38mm and 1 5/8 at 41 (plus or minus a few decimals)