screw heads

Page 2 of 2

So looking closer at their selection, it would seem that all the McFeely's screws are made in either Taiwan or China. I changed my mind, buying from them would be no better than buying from the Borg. I'm not that enamored with square head drives.
<snip>

Wrong. McFeeley's stuff is industrial grade, rather than run of the prison camp crap. That it's made in Asia is incidental.
I'm just a small scale hobby user. One who has spent a couple hunnert with Jim, and feels it's worth it.
YMMV. But it's not Borg junk.
Patriarch

Two things: first, McFeely's screws are definitely *much* better than buying from the Borg. I've been using McFeely's pretty much exclusively for about five years now, for all manner of projects. I've snapped exactly one screw, and buggered the heads on maybe two or three, in dozens and dozens of boxes.
Second, there is a world of difference between Taiwan and China. Taiwan has an elected government and a free-market economy; China is a communist dictatorship with a centrally planned economy. The profit motive works wonders in improving product quality, when consumers have a choice. I prefer to buy products made in the U.S. when they're available (and if I can afford them), but when they're not, I have no hesitation at buying those made in Taiwan. Sure, the quality often isn't as high as U.S. or Canadian manufacture (among others), but it's light-years ahead of most of the garbage that comes out of China.
--
Regards,
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 11:11:30 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I think a major factor is WHO has the tools manufactured, Doug...
IMHO, Jet or Delta are going to require products with higher specifications and quality that Harbor Freight...
You can have cheap junk made anywhere, including the States, if that's what you order and accept..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

So are most of my USA brand tools... Including my TS and 2 lathes.. Where it's made is not nearly as important as how well it's made...
It's sort of like saying that cars are crappy because they're made in/by Japan...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

There is a huge difference between McFeely's and the borgs. Don't let the country of origin be the deciding factor, they are capable of making quality fasteners as well as cheap stuff. McFeely's buys the good stuff and the rest is shipped to the big box stores. Buy a few and see for yourself. Experience the square head also and you will find it really is better.

Assuming that McFeeleys screws would be in the same class as the Borg screws would be an ignorant assumption. Don't let your lack of experience and knowledge of square drive screws and the quality of McFeeleys screws steer you to a more expensive and possibly lesser quality screw. I have never had a problem with their wood screws and I seriously doubt that you will either. If you have problems I am sure that they will stand behind them.
Eigenvector wrote:
> One reason for going to a place like > that is to avoid the imports, but I don't want to trade one cheap screw for > another?
Forget US made fasteners, they don't exist any more except for possibly some specialty items.
At one time, Cleveland, OH was the fastener manufacturing capital of the world.
One by one, they all shut down and moved off shore, starting in the mid 70's.
If you want quality, stay away from the borgs and people who try to sell their goods at too good a price.
Never forget, everybody has to get to the feed trough.
Lew

McFeeley screws does not manufacture screws. They buy and package and sell. At various times as noted in their catalog some screws are imported. Imported is just fine as long as the quality remains high. I doubt McFeeleys would sell a "wood" screw that is less than desirable.

Don't throw 'em away...
If your shop attracts friends and neighbors like mine does, save the borg stuff for folks that are doing some fence patch job and want a handful of screws.. The borg stuff will work fine for them and you don't have to give the (relatively) expensive screws away to folks that don't need that quality..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

The short answer is "it depends" on where and why you are using the screws.
If you are making period furniture steel slotted screws would be most appropriate... I saw a chest on chest recently that looked pretty good from a distance. However, when I got close and looked at the construction details, including the back and sides, I saw Torx and square drive screw heads... completely ruined the piece in my view!
Brass slot head screws always look better to me on cast brass hinges.
On the other hand, if you are screwing the top to the apron of a table with pocket screws, Torx or square drive are fine.
John
I'm a big square-drive fan.
Reason 1: Virtually no camout Reason 2: Virtually no camout means that the head is not damaged and screws for temporary assemblies can be recycled. (economy) Reason 3: No damage looks better on premanent assemblies. Reason 4: I can "mount" a screw on a driver and it will stick there even pointing down (ease of use).
Regarding head shape, I try to use washer-heads (like pocket hole screws) when appearance is not a concern and being flush to the surface is not required. A traditional flat head delivers a wedging force which can cause splitting.
I tend to use these quite a bit because, if appearance counts, I usually will find another way to fasten two boards (like glue).
-Steve

Torx "is not" new. The automotive industry started using the Torx fasteners over 30 years ago. Torx is better than straight and Phillips but for the average wood worker it is probably equal to the square drive. Given the fact that square drive is becoming more common place and you have to hunt for Torx, I'd say the square drive would be the way to go.