Screw (ed)

Page 2 of 2
"-MIKE-" wrote:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

These work for me, especially in white oak.
http://tinyurl.com/aavkjna
Lew
On 2/16/2013 9:02 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:

and a sample to get some opinions from the graybeards. Here's what they had to say:

lubed the screw with dish soap and drove it with drill at a lower torque setting. Worked fine, problem solved.

legs are 1 1/2 hard maple. The face frame is 3/4 hard maple, in which I drilled 3/8 deep 1/2 inch hole to accommodate the screw and a plug. Drilled a pilot hole to depth.

YOu want a dry soap. The wet soap may cause binding. Get a candle.. simple. If you don't like rubbing the candle on the sharp threads, drill a small hole in the candle... then pull it out on an angle, that should be enough wax.
--
Jeff

All's well that ends well. Drilled larger pilot holes, used lower torque on screws lubed with Johnson's paste wax.
Thank you, friends, for your good counsel.
Larry