Scratch awl with 4" blade?

I put together houses in Mexico a couple of times a month for a charity (corazon). We frame the walls with 2x4's on the ground, frame where the windows are going to go, and then put OSB (like plywood) over the whole thing. Then we tilt the wall up, and put nails through the corners where the window's going to go - from the inside to the outside - to mark the window corners. Then we lower it down, snap lines to the holes, and cut out the OSB. The problem is that the nails are angled - so the holes aren't exactly in the right place. I was thinking of using something like a scratch awl instead of nails. But the shaft would need to be at least 4" long to clear the 2x4 and the OSB. And metal so I could hammer on it. Any ideas where I could find an awl like that, or alternatives?
Thanks, Bob
How about a 6" long drill bit, that you could put right in the corner and drill the OSB? Either electric or good old brace and bit. That would put the hole right on the corner and mark it from the other side.
I suppose that the nail slopes outward when you use it for a marker, and you are then trying to cut both the 2x and the OSB. Could you pull it in 1/2" or so to allow for the slope, or could you find some of those spikes like they use for log homes so the nail goes in straight?
Sites I have been on use a sawzall with a long blade working from the inside, so they are guided by the framing. I suspect there is a reason you can't do that.
Old Guy

google snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Use 20d (penny) or larger nails. http://www.1728.com/nails.htm
Personally, I like the drill bit idea better.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Thanks - and to everyone for all of the ideas. I'll check out the big nails & gutter spikes. The drill would be good, but we are actually building all 4 walls at the same time & tools are an issue for us.

Wow - a ton of ideas to address a matter that has been dealt with exactly as you're currently doing it, forever. You're fine with what you're doing. If you're worried about that slight angle on the nail - simply move it inboard a quarter of an inch. You're making this waylay more complicated than it needs to be. BTW - don't bother lowering the wall back down. Raise it, nail it, cut your window openings in after.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Buy a 6" thin shanked screwdriver and grind the tip down - instant scratch awl....
Bob S.
google snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

A 7" gutter spike should work.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
On Oct 29, 9:56 pm, google snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Sounds like a new life for a phillips screwdriver that has lost it's shape. You may even be able to re-harden it after you shape the point by taking it to an orange heat and poking it in a melon.
Mon, Oct 29, 2007, 6:56pm (EDT-3) google snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com doth query" <SNIP> Any ideas where I could find an awl like that, or alternatives?
Duct tape. Or, ice pick.
It is time for a dedicated tool. Do not raise the wall, mark, lay it back down, cut, raise again. You're going to wear the poor wall plumb out, or someone's back.
If you can stand buying a dedicated tool, buy a name brand drywall cutter - not Rotozip, get a DeWalt, Milwaukee, or some such. Buy a couple of the bits made to drill and rout the holes.
A heavy duty cut out tool like a DW 660 <http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID'50>
A window and door bit is DW6609 <http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/accessory_category_detail.asp?categoryID1>
You could also maybe take along a router someone already owns that can run those same bits or some straight cutter router bits with ball bearings on the ends.
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .