Scraper plane vs cabinet scraper vs scraper

I am trying to get by without ever buying another sheet of sandpaper ...

I currently have numerous scrapers, plus the Veritas cabinet scraper, and am reasonably proficient in their sharpening and use. However, I am unclear if there is a certain sequence. I typically use the cabinet scraper first to remove all machine marks since it can remove more material at a time and is not as tiring as scrapers (although they only tire the thumbs!). I've just done that because it works as opposed to ever being taught that is right.

Even more confused as to the role of the scraper plane. I can see where an open-side scraper plane such as the Lie-Nielson (drool) could scrape along an inside corner, where the cabinet scraper cannot and a scraper is awkward. I can theorize that a scaper plane would allow even faster material removal than a cabinet scraper. But is that it or does it serve other purposes that I am unaware of, or is it part of a sequence, scraper plane, cabinet scraper, scraper... or can it do it all.

And yes, I am partly asking the question to rationalize the purchase of the L-N at some point ;-)

Reply to
Tom Bergman

The L-N scraper is beautiful, but somewhat hard to adjust correctly, as are all like scrapers. I try it out each time I stop at L-N's factory & showroom. One of these days I'll decide that I can't get by without it.

Yesterday I drove by but didn't stop. A demonstration of colossal will power.

Phil

Tom Bergman wrote:

Reply to
PC

I've got the Kunz cheapo, and it's the same type of fiddle to get things right. Once it's ready, you can do some serious area.

That said, I tend to go low angle jack to hand scraper anymore.

Reply to
George

what about planing. a scraper is fine but a smoothing plane will do all or the bulk of the work faster and better then a scraper. depending on what plane you have and your skill level you may or may not need to scape. but doing all the work with a scraper is pretty slow and tiring.

Reply to
Steve Knight

I think it's a drive by that you are close enough to drive past.

Cheers, Eric

Reply to
Eric Lund

I'm wondering if all this talk of scrapers lately is because this month in the LN calendar has the 212 pictured? Next month, Scrub Planes.

Cheers, Eric

Reply to
Eric Lund

What? There's an LN calendar!! Never had a need for a calendar in the shop before. Unlike a clock, I've usually known what day it it. Guess I need to visit their site now.

Reply to
Tom Bergman

No need for a calendar in the shop? What do you _look_ at?

Let's see...I've got: Marlboro (racing) Lincoln Electric (racing) Craftsman (tools) Snap-On (girls) (oh yeah, and tools) Bailey Controls (topless girls)

none of them are 2003 calendars ;)

Reply to
Chris Merrill

SWMBO: "I thought we agreed you wouldn't buy another plane at that woodworking show."

Tom: "No Honey, you don't understand. I didn't buy a plane. All I bought was this $300 calendar; the plane was included as a bonus."

Good luck buddy.

Cheers, Mike

Reply to
Mike