Scraper?? I don't need to BUY no stinkin' scraper

I think your reluctance to accept my terms speak more to your inability to be mature and sensible. You dropped the ball.

dave

Scott Cramer wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

ah, Scott I either post a newbie woodworking question, offer an honest opinion, or make my perhaps pathetic attempts to be funny. I cringe whenever I see your name show up, as you never act decently. I will attack back from time to time, but I don't start the mudslinging. I might give a smart answer response from time to time, but never initiate the mean-spirited personal attacks such as you do on a persistent basis. Am I going to have to put you back in my filter list? I've removed all the miscreants for the time being, but I don't have time for this OT crap. Talk wood related issues please, or talk to yourself.

dave

Scott Cramer wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 19:26:38 GMT, BEELZEBUBBA yacked:

Now, THAT was funny.

OBWW: Put a cork in it.

Regards, Tom Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

On 19 Nov 2003, Bay Area Dave spake unto rec.woodworking:

And you do all those things, all the time. Why do think you get the "I had bananas on my cereal" and "how'd the corn come out?" responses from others here? It's because you post responses whether you have anything to say or not. And it's usually not.

I dared you to keep it to three posts a day, because, on the average, that's how many posts of any real value you DO post in a day.

I grew up in New England, as has everyone on both sides of my family for generations. We are a taciturn lot. Needless yammering sets my teeth on edge. It is not in my nature to suffer fools gladly. I only pick on you when you are being an asshole. If it seems like I'm always picking on you, draw your own conclusion.

Dave. Think about it. Your fascination with the twit list one of the things the rest of us laugh *about*. If you piss me off, I respond primarily for the amusement of others who share my assessment of you. If you see it and go off on a whining jag, it's that much more amusing.

I dare you again.

Two weeks, no more than three posts a day. Have you got that much self-control? Surprise us.

Scott

Reply to
Scott Cramer

Valves fork very nicely, and the stem is very hard steel. It also has that nice end that works for a handle. %-)

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

Be careful what saw from the flea market you wind up chopping into little pieces. On another list I subscribe to, a recent "find" by a member (painted "scene" notwithstanding") turned out to be a very rare handsaw. Even cleaned up and refurbished it would still be worth a couple thousand dollars. Ain't no scraper in the world that can make that claim to fame. Now I'm checking every saw I see looking for the vintage Disstons and others.

If, OTOH, the blade is rusty and bent and it has a broken bakelite handle or is otherwise obvious junque, then your solution is perfect.

Jon E

Reply to
Jon Endres, PE

I didn't read the dare, and don't intend to. It's all white noise.

I broke a drill bit today....it was a pilot bit for a drill/countersink combo. Serves me right for not "cleaning" it as I was running the pilot hole in the pine hutch I'm building. why does this matter? This is the first "thing" I've built since packing up the shop almost a year and a half ago. It's been so long, woodworking almost feel foreign...almost, but not quite. I'm learning it's like a bike...it's all coming back to me.

I did manage to remember the first law of woodworking though...."Never build a project for which you have all the right tools". I'm now the proud owner of a 1/2" round over bit (I'm sure I had one, but can't find it after the move) from Lee Valley.... SWMBO's remembering how to shake her head.

BTW...you're not tanked

Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

So who's the mechanic?

Reply to
CW

BAD was an auto mechanic for around 16yrs

that information, and a reasonable assumption that he would retain expensive tools he purchased, such as Snap-On, it would be more than fair to expect a socket set or two would be floating around.

Hence my statement:

"Anyone who professes to be, or have been, a mechanic must have a dozen suitable extension bars, wrenches or ratchets with handles suitable for the job. Otherwise the guide roller out of a printer will do the job. Any normal house should have at least a dozen suitable items laying around. Thing is, you need to go look first."

Unless you have super hard scrapers, household items can be used to roll an edge, even the back of an old kitchen knife.

If my post seemed a little blunt, perhaps its because this thread has taken

48 posts total (13 from BAD himself) to figure out the difference 'between a scraper that is labelled a scraper and a scraper that I "made"?'. Google has plenty of info on this, LV catalogs have some info, books have this info, but instead of typing 'scraper' into Google and returning over 6000 hits he trolled the group - again.

regards,

Greg

Reply to
Groggy

What are you using for a shop now? Leaving the Taj Mahal must've been painful, but I missed the bit where you got a new shop, any details?

cheers,

Greg

Reply to
Groggy

Yes, CW, I've got plenty of Snap On tools. I see Greg is babbling again about me "professing" to have been a mechanic. That's the case. Extensions are as rough as the screwdriver shank that I was told isn't as good as a "real" burnisher, due in part to it's roughness. Sounds like Greg has his own ideas about what makes for a suitable substitute.

If any other poster says "A", and Gregg says "B", who do you think I'll listen to? :)

Besides we've concluded I'll get a "real" burnisher...

I'm all for letting this thread die, BTW..

dave

CW wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Google it, Google it, Google it!! Man I get sick of reading that. I guess my personal filters (the ones behind my eyes) work pretty good. If a thread seems stupid or of no interest to me I just skip it. If a poster says something dumb I just ignore it - I've said more than my share of dumb stuff. But for those of you who can't do either, let me chime in as someone who's been around on this group for quite a few years and who has many years experience as a carpenter and a few as a "real" woodworker. I appreciate stupid questions, even ones that have been answered a hundred times before, because they are often things that either inform me, inspire me or caution me. BAD posted a reasonable, on-topic, question that has engendered a lot of interesting and informative comment (mixed in with some truly stupid attacks on him). I have learned from this thread, and would never have bothered to Google any of it. If you come right down to it you can probably find out just about anything we discuss in here with some appropriate research, but sometimes it is easier to just holler and see what others think about it. If you don't feel like answering just ignore it!

So, Dave, keep asking the questions, and if you act like a twit at times I'll just ignore that, you've got a lot of company in that regard, here and in the rest of the world.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

:) Thanks for the kinds words, Tim! I know I can at times be less than "politically correct" with my bluntness, but I would hope that the vast majority of my posts are on topic and cover a lot of newbie issues, as that's what I am at this point. I'm slow and methodical (and forgetful sometimes -- like drawer bottoms ), so I haven't got a lot of projects under my belt yet, but what I've done so far has met my high expectations, with a few little flubs here and there. I'm learning from my mistakes, and more to the point, I'm learning from the kindness of others here on the Wreck to point in the right direction so often by sharing their collective and vast knowledge.

If everyone Googled all the time, what would they be Googling if there were no original content created on the newsgroups???

I'm guilty of acting like a "twit" at times as you've stated, but I hope on balance, I am receptive to learning and might once in a blue moon provide a meager bit of helpful information or at least provoke someone to chime in to answer someone's questions.

Don't worry, Tim, I'll keep asking questions! :)

dave

Tim Douglass wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

You were told correctly and you are right in getting the best tool for the job.

Reply to
CW

Correct, get the 'right' tool, something appropriate for the task. For anyone who hasn't closed their minds though, the best tool for the job (a "real" burnisher) is one that turns the edge by the desired amount. That can be anything from the chrome on the bumper of a car, a valve stem, hammer handle (steel hammer of course) a kitchen knife or a LV burnisher - perhaps even a 'dowel pin'.

Just because an item is sold as a 'burnisher' does not exclude the use of anything else that provides a perfectly acceptable finish to the edge - perhaps even superior.

Reply to
Groggy

Tim,

I have read a lot of your posts over the years and respect your views. I also respect the right of people to ask 'dumb' questions, I learn a lot from them too. I normally do not tell others to do a google search unless they don't appear to know about it.

Let me clarify my post, I was referring to Dave specifically because of the volume of posting he does. That many questions should demand some forethought, if only as a simple act of consideration to the group.

At some point though, I think we should help those who help themselves a little. By all means ask questions, but if you intend to ask hundreds of them, please do some research first.

The key to the issue lies in your own statement

"...sometimes it is easier to just holler and see what others think about it."

Again, sure, we all do that, human nature at work. After a few hundred posts by the same person, it is also human nature to say "ok, enough", please do some research yourself, then, if still stuck, ask away.

regards,

Greg

Reply to
Groggy

In principle, I agree. In practice it doesn't bother me. I have 4 sons, ages 7-14, so I'm pretty good at filtering. I deal with people almost 24/7, so I do a lot of it there as well. I guess the only type of posts that really register with me any more are either the ones with content or the ones with vitriol. The first because I want to learn (or possibly help), the second because they offend me. I hadn't ever considered Dave a high-volume poster, but it may be because I haven't noticed who is writing what. Most of the time on this group I read the messages without worrying about who wrote them, and since I just hit 'next' if it seems like a pointless rant or petty bickering those things really don't register.

Technology helps. I use the Agent newsreader, so my procedure is to skim all the new thread titles and tag the ones that look interesting. It will then retrieve all the messages in only those threads (and any I have tagged previously) so I only see threads I'm interested in. If It turns out to be of no interest I just un-tag it and it goes away.

I hope you realize that my previous rant wasn't aimed at you in particular, you just happened to use the wrong phrase for my temper at that particular moment.

Kids are like that. After a while I tell them "look it up, that's why we have 3 encyclopedias in this house". My personal Usenet equivalent is to just not respond. Silence seems to me to do more to improve the signal to noise ratio than telling someone to look it up, especially since that almost always leads to off-topic arguing and rambling rants like this one. I figure if no one answers the next time someone asks "what is this hammer thing I got at a yard sale used for?" they will give up here and actually go look it up.

Just to say *something* WW related, If all goes well I may get some insulation and sheetrock in my shop tomorrow. That raises hope that by Spring I may actually be able to use tools in it.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

There actually may be lurkers that may have the same questions that Dave posts. Not to mention people who actually DAGS before asking and are looking for the answer to one of BAD's "stupid" questions. By posting it , Dave is actually creating a one-man archive.

If he posts too much, big deal. Learn to filter, or simply ignore him. It's not like he changes his headers or attempts to disguise his posts. He dosen't post binaries, so each post is what? 2k each? Even if he posts 100 times a day, it's not like he'd even drag down a modern dial-up over the course of a day.

It takes all kinds to make a world. If we were all the same, things would get boring in a hurry.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

No problem, its pleasant to have a reasoned discussion and, as an aside, why not get emotive if you believe in something. This place would be boring if people didn't say what they thought (within reason of course).

OBWW: Cleanup and tidy time this weekend, I restored my father's cabinetmaker's screwdriver (the sole surviving tool I have of his) and can't believe the mess I made in doing so.

cheers,

Greg

Reply to
Groggy

Barry,

I have no problem with lurkers, most of the time I'm one myself. I do try to help when I can, don't even mind BAD's questions, I was there, as we all were, years ago on some of them too. I could really give a rip as to what he might spend for a tool, if he's happy then I'm glad for him, he has what he feels he wants/needs. What I DO mind is when he has taken to lashing out on someone, without call as far as I could see. And this has not been infrequent. I finally had to place his posts to where I wouldn't see them unless one of the folks here responded, some of those I'll read and others I won't. I just wish he would clean up his act and then I would be more than happy to help him, IF he has done the proper groundwork.

Two years ago I was looking to buy a new saw for my shop. I really was looking at the Uni but the 66 was really where I wanted to go, thank god Moma truck decided she needed a heart replacement, when she did, instead. I DAGS on every source I could think of, this group being one, settled on a 52" 64A and have never been happier, it's done what I've asked and this group was a major part of my choice, the opinions on it were invaluable. Runs a WWII full kerf, Freud SD-508 real sweet, even my cheapass Sears molding head; ok you folks that want to go into "panic" mode here..just take a breather..promise not to not make you run one too. LOL! So when someone says "Do a DAGS" I am in total agreement. To do/feel anything less and then I would have to place myself those idicators that can't even teach our kids today..my kids are more than well into their 30's and hope they learned better, so don't hit the old fart too hard. :-)

Scott

Reply to
Scott Brownell