Scraper?? I don't need to BUY no stinkin' scraper

Page 3 of 4
Buy several. You'd be surprised how handy they are. Ground to size (diameter) to within .0002. Great for mesuring.

Anyone who professes to be, or have been, a mechanic must have a dozen suitable extension bars, wrenches or ratchets with handles suitable for the job. Otherwise the guide roller out of a printer will do the job. Any normal house should have at least a dozen suitable items laying around. Thing is, you need to go look first.
So who's the mechanic?
wrote in message ...

BAD was an auto mechanic for around 16yrs http://tinyurl.com/vsg1
Given that information, and a reasonable assumption that he would retain expensive tools he purchased, such as Snap-On, it would be more than fair to expect a socket set or two would be floating around.
Hence my statement:
"Anyone who professes to be, or have been, a mechanic must have a dozen suitable extension bars, wrenches or ratchets with handles suitable for the job. Otherwise the guide roller out of a printer will do the job. Any normal house should have at least a dozen suitable items laying around. Thing is, you need to go look first."
Unless you have super hard scrapers, household items can be used to roll an edge, even the back of an old kitchen knife.
If my post seemed a little blunt, perhaps its because this thread has taken 48 posts total (13 from BAD himself) to figure out the difference 'between a scraper that is labelled a scraper and a scraper that I "made"?'. Google has plenty of info on this, LV catalogs have some info, books have this info, but instead of typing 'scraper' into Google and returning over 6000 hits he trolled the group - again.
regards,
Greg

Google it, Google it, Google it!! Man I get sick of reading that. I guess my personal filters (the ones behind my eyes) work pretty good. If a thread seems stupid or of no interest to me I just skip it. If a poster says something dumb I just ignore it - I've said more than my share of dumb stuff. But for those of you who can't do either, let me chime in as someone who's been around on this group for quite a few years and who has many years experience as a carpenter and a few as a "real" woodworker. I appreciate stupid questions, even ones that have been answered a hundred times before, because they are often things that either inform me, inspire me or caution me. BAD posted a reasonable, on-topic, question that has engendered a lot of interesting and informative comment (mixed in with some truly stupid attacks on him). I have learned from this thread, and would never have bothered to Google any of it. If you come right down to it you can probably find out just about anything we discuss in here with some appropriate research, but sometimes it is easier to just holler and see what others think about it. If you don't feel like answering just ignore it!
So, Dave, keep asking the questions, and if you act like a twit at times I'll just ignore that, you've got a lot of company in that regard, here and in the rest of the world.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
:) Thanks for the kinds words, Tim! I know I can at times be less than "politically correct" with my bluntness, but I would hope that the vast majority of my posts are on topic and cover a lot of newbie issues, as that's what I am at this point. I'm slow and methodical (and forgetful sometimes -- like drawer bottoms <g>), so I haven't got a lot of projects under my belt yet, but what I've done so far has met my high expectations, with a few little flubs here and there. I'm learning from my mistakes, and more to the point, I'm learning from the kindness of others here on the Wreck to point in the right direction so often by sharing their collective and vast knowledge.
If everyone Googled all the time, what would they be Googling if there were no original content created on the newsgroups???
I'm guilty of acting like a "twit" at times as you've stated, but I hope on balance, I am receptive to learning and might once in a blue moon provide a meager bit of helpful information or at least provoke someone to chime in to answer someone's questions.
Don't worry, Tim, I'll keep asking questions! :)
dave
Tim Douglass wrote:

Tim,
I have read a lot of your posts over the years and respect your views. I also respect the right of people to ask 'dumb' questions, I learn a lot from them too. I normally do not tell others to do a google search unless they don't appear to know about it.
Let me clarify my post, I was referring to Dave specifically because of the volume of posting he does. That many questions should demand some forethought, if only as a simple act of consideration to the group.
At some point though, I think we should help those who help themselves a little. By all means ask questions, but if you intend to ask hundreds of them, please do some research first.
The key to the issue lies in your own statement
"...sometimes it is easier to just holler and see what others think about it."
Again, sure, we all do that, human nature at work. After a few hundred posts by the same person, it is also human nature to say "ok, enough", please do some research yourself, then, if still stuck, ask away.
regards,
Greg

In principle, I agree. In practice it doesn't bother me. I have 4 sons, ages 7-14, so I'm pretty good at filtering. I deal with people almost 24/7, so I do a lot of it there as well. I guess the only type of posts that really register with me any more are either the ones with content or the ones with vitriol. The first because I want to learn (or possibly help), the second because they offend me. I hadn't ever considered Dave a high-volume poster, but it may be because I haven't noticed who is writing what. Most of the time on this group I read the messages without worrying about who wrote them, and since I just hit 'next' if it seems like a pointless rant or petty bickering those things really don't register.
Technology helps. I use the Agent newsreader, so my procedure is to skim all the new thread titles and tag the ones that look interesting. It will then retrieve all the messages in only those threads (and any I have tagged previously) so I only see threads I'm interested in. If It turns out to be of no interest I just un-tag it and it goes away.
I hope you realize that my previous rant wasn't aimed at you in particular, you just happened to use the wrong phrase for my temper at that particular moment.

Kids are like that. After a while I tell them "look it up, that's why we have 3 encyclopedias in this house". My personal Usenet equivalent is to just not respond. Silence seems to me to do more to improve the signal to noise ratio than telling someone to look it up, especially since that almost always leads to off-topic arguing and rambling rants like this one. I figure if no one answers the next time someone asks "what is this hammer thing I got at a yard sale used for?" they will give up here and actually go look it up.
Just to say *something* WW related, If all goes well I may get some insulation and sheetrock in my shop tomorrow. That raises hope that by Spring I may actually be able to use tools in it.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

There actually may be lurkers that may have the same questions that Dave posts. Not to mention people who actually DAGS before asking and are looking for the answer to one of BAD's "stupid" questions. By posting it , Dave is actually creating a one-man archive.
If he posts too much, big deal. Learn to filter, or simply ignore him. It's not like he changes his headers or attempts to disguise his posts. He dosen't post binaries, so each post is what? 2k each? Even if he posts 100 times a day, it's not like he'd even drag down a modern dial-up over the course of a day.
It takes all kinds to make a world. If we were all the same, things would get boring in a hurry.
Barry
"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." wrote:

Barry,
I have no problem with lurkers, most of the time I'm one myself. I do try to help when I can, don't even mind BAD's questions, I was there, as we all were, years ago on some of them too. I could really give a rip as to what he might spend for a tool, if he's happy then I'm glad for him, he has what he feels he wants/needs. What I DO mind is when he has taken to lashing out on someone, without call as far as I could see. And this has not been infrequent. I finally had to place his posts to where I wouldn't see them unless one of the folks here responded, some of those I'll read and others I won't. I just wish he would clean up his act and then I would be more than happy to help him, IF he has done the proper groundwork.
Two years ago I was looking to buy a new saw for my shop. I really was looking at the Uni but the 66 was really where I wanted to go, thank god Moma truck decided she needed a heart replacement, when she did, instead. I DAGS on every source I could think of, this group being one, settled on a 52" 64A and have never been happier, it's done what I've asked and this group was a major part of my choice, the opinions on it were invaluable. Runs a WWII full kerf, Freud SD-508 real sweet, even my cheapass Sears molding head; ok you folks that want to go into "panic" mode here..just take a breather..promise not to not make you run one too. LOL! So when someone says "Do a DAGS" I am in total agreement. To do/feel anything less and then I would have to place myself those idicators that can't even teach our kids today..my kids are more than well into their 30's and hope they learned better, so don't hit the old fart too hard. :-)
Scott
up later, the damage remains.

No problem, its pleasant to have a reasoned discussion and, as an aside, why not get emotive if you believe in something. This place would be boring if people didn't say what they thought (within reason of course).
OBWW: Cleanup and tidy time this weekend, I restored my father's cabinetmaker's screwdriver (the sole surviving tool I have of his) and can't believe the mess I made in doing so.
cheers,
Greg
Yes, CW, I've got plenty of Snap On tools. I see Greg is babbling again about me "professing" to have been a mechanic. That's the case. Extensions are as rough as the screwdriver shank that I was told isn't as good as a "real" burnisher, due in part to it's roughness. Sounds like Greg has his own ideas about what makes for a suitable substitute.
If any other poster says "A", and Gregg says "B", who do you think I'll listen to? :)
Besides we've concluded I'll get a "real" burnisher...
I'm all for letting this thread die, BTW..
dave
CW wrote:

You were told correctly and you are right in getting the best tool for the job.
wrote in message ...

Correct, get the 'right' tool, something appropriate for the task. For anyone who hasn't closed their minds though, the best tool for the job (a "real" burnisher) is one that turns the edge by the desired amount. That can be anything from the chrome on the bumper of a car, a valve stem, hammer handle (steel hammer of course) a kitchen knife or a LV burnisher - perhaps even a 'dowel pin'.
Just because an item is sold as a 'burnisher' does not exclude the use of anything else that provides a perfectly acceptable finish to the edge - perhaps even superior.

Very!
Barry
"Try a piece of broken glass.
I've done that. Yes, it works great.

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 22:25:35 -0600, "Sweet Sawdust"

Yes and no.
A broken glass scraper is a great scraper, but it's a blunt edge not a hook. When it cuts, it makes a Type III chip. A relatively stiff but weak material collapses into fine dust. It's a good scraper for removing old finishes, but not for smoothing timber.
A hooked scraper makes Type II chips (when it works right). These are thin shavings - a fibrous material peels apart and curves upwards in a smooth chip.
Thus the pleasure, even for this confirmed scraper user of many years, of the Veritas Dial-a-Curl burnisher. Comes with a set of scrapers, now marked and set for coarsest glue removal to finest burnished surface.
Sure you can do without, but the kids have to have something to get you for occasions....

BAD going Neander? And MAKING a scraper instead of buying a L-N Plane? That's a sure sign of the Apocolypse!
-Chris