Scraper?? I don't need to BUY no stinkin' scraper

Page 2 of 4
On 19 Nov 2003, Bay Area Dave spake unto rec.woodworking:

    Sorry, Dave. It's your diarrhea of the mouth, in conjunction with constipation of the brain, that's at the heart of the issue.
    It's only for two weeks. Can't even bear the thought of it, can you?

Scott:
I know BAD get's "into it" with several, but I also have learned to appreciate his on-topic posts. I can't remember much about your on-topic posting. Care to remind me before I make the "tank/don't tank" decision?
Rob
--

Remove CC for email and please visit our web site:
http://www.robswoodworking.com

    I will readily confess that the last few days have seen an orgy of BAD bashing. And I will also confess to offering smartass remarks in about a 3:1 ratio with useful advice. But I do indeed help when I have something to offer.
    For sheer volume of posts, BAD has no peers. Consider the numbers, look at the chaff:wheat proportions, and then explain why he shouldn't take me up on the dare!
Scott
ah, Scott I either post a newbie woodworking question, offer an honest opinion, or make my perhaps pathetic attempts to be funny. I cringe whenever I see your name show up, as you never act decently. I will attack back from time to time, but I don't start the mudslinging. I might give a smart answer response from time to time, but never initiate the mean-spirited personal attacks such as you do on a persistent basis. Am I going to have to put you back in my filter list? I've removed all the miscreants for the time being, but I don't have time for this OT crap. Talk wood related issues please, or talk to yourself.
dave
Scott Cramer wrote:

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 19:26:38 GMT, BEELZEBUBBA yacked:

Now, THAT was funny.
OBWW: Put a cork in it.
On 19 Nov 2003, Bay Area Dave spake unto rec.woodworking:

    And you do all those things, all the time. Why do think you get the "I had bananas on my cereal" and "how'd the corn come out?" responses from others here? It's because you post responses whether you have anything to say or not. And it's usually not.
    I dared you to keep it to three posts a day, because, on the average, that's how many posts of any real value you DO post in a day.

    I grew up in New England, as has everyone on both sides of my family for generations. We are a taciturn lot. Needless yammering sets my teeth on edge. It is not in my nature to suffer fools gladly.     I only pick on you when you are being an asshole. If it seems like I'm always picking on you, draw your own conclusion.

    Dave. Think about it. Your fascination with the twit list one of the things the rest of us laugh *about*. If you piss me off, I respond primarily for the amusement of others who share my assessment of you. If you see it and go off on a whining jag, it's that much more amusing.
    I dare you again.
    Two weeks, no more than three posts a day. Have you got that much self-control? Surprise us.
Scott

I didn't read the dare, and don't intend to. It's all white noise.
I broke a drill bit today....it was a pilot bit for a drill/countersink combo. Serves me right for not "cleaning" it as I was running the pilot hole in the pine hutch I'm building. why does this matter? This is the first "thing" I've built since packing up the shop almost a year and a half ago. It's been so long, woodworking almost feel foreign...almost, but not quite. I'm learning it's like a bike...it's all coming back to me.
I did manage to remember the first law of woodworking though...."Never build a project for which you have all the right tools". I'm now the proud owner of a 1/2" round over bit (I'm sure I had one, but can't find it after the move) from Lee Valley.... SWMBO's remembering how to shake her head.
BTW...you're not tanked <g!>
Rob
--

Remove CC for email and please visit our web site:
http://www.robswoodworking.com

hole
quite.
build
Rob,
What are you using for a shop now? Leaving the Taj Mahal must've been painful, but I missed the bit where you got a new shop, any details?
cheers,
Greg
I think your reluctance to accept my terms speak more to your inability to be mature and sensible. You dropped the ball.
dave
Scott Cramer wrote:

I only plonked about 8 guys, and 7 of them have been unplonked. Whenever someone uses the phrase "he's claimed to" that's tantamount to saying that I am lying. I don't ever lie. You may disagree with me, may not like me, but I was brought up to be totally honest and truthful.
Even Cramer is visible now...
dave
Upscale wrote:

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 10:59:04 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

REVIEW?!!! lol
You had to review the difference between a push rod...and a lifter?
ROTFLMAO !!!

And I've told you many times already...but you still don't listen...
Both parts of your tag line are completely untrue.
1. We DON'T always just choose from 2 people to run for President. In modern times alone...look into the results for 1968, 1980, 1992, 1996.
2. We ALWAYS vote for more than 50 candidates for Miss America.
Anybody can post an inaccurate tag line. Only a fool keeps posting it when he's been shown that its wrong.
Have a nice week...
Trent
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in message wrote:

Files are hard enough to use as a burnisher. I have used the smooth part of a rat-tailed file down by the tang. I've heard of other folks using a belt sander to take the teeth off a file to make a burnisher. If you try that, do not let the file get too hot. Low alloy high carbon steel aneals around 325 F. I've also used roll pins which aren't really hard enough but they work for the same reason that screwdriver handles work--the stress in the thin section on the sharp corner of the scraper is much higher than on the rounded screwdriver shaft.
--

FF

Damnit Dave ! That was _my_ idea
No, hang on - I put a handle on a $2 Sandvik scraper and used it instead of a $12 wallpaper stripping knife, now I remember.
Hey, Andy, that gives me an idea. What about rolling an edge on a taping knife? I've got several, up to a foot wide.
dave
Andy Dingley wrote:

FWIW, a Sandvik (sp?) scraper is the same price or cheaper than a _good_ putty knife. They're about $6.
I would imagine a screwdriver shaft would get chewed up in a hurry burnishing a real scraper.
Barry
Use a crapsman lifetime warranty screwdriver
in message wrote:

If that was a good quality putty knife, it will work as well as anything. You do need a good burnisher, however.

Is a real burnisher smooth? My screwdriver shanks are pretty rough; chromed steel, but nontheless ROUGH.
dave
CW wrote:

Burnishers are very smooth and very hard. I made mine out of a 3/8 x 3" dowel pin. This is not what you might thing of as a dowel. These are used as alignment pins in machinery. They are as hard as a file and ground to a very high surface finish. Mount in a handle. Someplace like Grainger or Rutland tool would have them. I even saw some at Eagle (before they became Lowes).

Thanks AGAIN, I've got one of those 6" thick Grainger catalogs somewhere in my office...and a Grainger's not far from the HD PRO I want to check out tomorrow...
dave