Scraper?? I don't need to BUY no stinkin' scraper

Buy several. You'd be surprised how handy they are. Ground to size (diameter) to within .0002. Great for mesuring.

Reply to
CW

I've done that. Yes, it works great.

Reply to
CW

After further review... I stand corrected. But hey Dave, I thought you plonked me?

Doug Miller

If he plonked as many people as he's claimed to, he wouldn't have anyone left to talk to. That would spell death knell for his personality.

Reply to
Upscale

Personality? Ahh, a euphemism, gotcha ;-)

Reply to
Groggy

Anyone who professes to be, or have been, a mechanic must have a dozen suitable extension bars, wrenches or ratchets with handles suitable for the job. Otherwise the guide roller out of a printer will do the job. Any normal house should have at least a dozen suitable items laying around. Thing is, you need to go look first.

Reply to
Groggy

Yes and no.

A broken glass scraper is a great scraper, but it's a blunt edge not a hook. When it cuts, it makes a Type III chip. A relatively stiff but weak material collapses into fine dust. It's a good scraper for removing old finishes, but not for smoothing timber.

A hooked scraper makes Type II chips (when it works right). These are thin shavings - a fibrous material peels apart and curves upwards in a smooth chip.

Andy Dingley

Very!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Thus the pleasure, even for this confirmed scraper user of many years, of the Veritas Dial-a-Curl burnisher. Comes with a set of scrapers, now marked and set for coarsest glue removal to finest burnished surface.

Sure you can do without, but the kids have to have something to get you for occasions....

Reply to
George

On 19 Nov 2003, Groggy spake unto rec.woodworking:

This will make things clear:

Scott Cramer

Files are hard enough to use as a burnisher. I have used the smooth part of a rat-tailed file down by the tang. I've heard of other folks using a belt sander to take the teeth off a file to make a burnisher. If you try that, do not let the file get too hot. Low alloy high carbon steel aneals around 325 F. I've also used roll pins which aren't really hard enough but they work for the same reason that screwdriver handles work--the stress in the thin section on the sharp corner of the scraper is much higher than on the rounded screwdriver shaft.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

I only plonked about 8 guys, and 7 of them have been unplonked. Whenever someone uses the phrase "he's claimed to" that's tantamount to saying that I am lying. I don't ever lie. You may disagree with me, may not like me, but I was brought up to be totally honest and truthful.

Even Cramer is visible now...

dave

Upscale wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Scott, you never cease to amaze me with your venom. Have you tried therapy to deal with your anger? I feel a limerick about to be born...

There once was a crackpot named Scott Who wasn't as smart as he thought For always he demeaned others Knew not the meaning of "brothers" Will his vitriol ever stop?

dave

Scott Cramer wrote: snip

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

BAD going Neander? And MAKING a scraper instead of buying a L-N Plane? That's a sure sign of the Apocolypse!

-Chris

Reply to
Chris

On 19 Nov 2003, Bay Area Dave spake unto rec.woodworking:

Uh, Dave, that link goes back to June, when you were flapping your gums about things of which you knew even less than you do now. There's no vitriol there, just a bit of pointed humor.

Here's a dare for you. I dare you to post no more than three times a day for two weeks. I guarantee that if you put a bit more thought into your posts, actually THINKING about your questions a bit before flooding the NG with them, you would see far fewer responses of an insulting nature. It is the incessant chatter, pointless blather, and useless responses to countless threads that fuels my desire to dope-slap you all the time.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Familiarity breeds contempt.

Think you can do it? Three times a day, for two weeks. Shut your yap and listen instead of reporting every stupid goddamn thing you do all day long. The only responses you'll get from me will be of a serious, helpful nature. For two weeks, at least.

Scott

Reply to
Scott Cramer

yeah, Chris, look out! the world is coming to an end!

dave

Chris wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

hmm... you only cursed once. I think that's a record, Scotty! I will not limit my posts, but feel free to respond to only three of mine per day, with serious responses to serious WW questions. We can both skip all the OT bs and make EVERYONE happier in the process.

So, meet me half way? That's the deal. Ball's in your court.

dave

Scott Cramer wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

On 19 Nov 2003, Bay Area Dave spake unto rec.woodworking:

Sorry, Dave. It's your diarrhea of the mouth, in conjunction with constipation of the brain, that's at the heart of the issue.

It's only for two weeks. Can't even bear the thought of it, can you?

Reply to
Scott Cramer

Scott:

I know BAD get's "into it" with several, but I also have learned to appreciate his on-topic posts. I can't remember much about your on-topic posting. Care to remind me before I make the "tank/don't tank" decision?

Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

On 19 Nov 2003, Rob Stokes spake unto rec.woodworking:

I will readily confess that the last few days have seen an orgy of BAD bashing. And I will also confess to offering smartass remarks in about a 3:1 ratio with useful advice. But I do indeed help when I have something to offer.

For sheer volume of posts, BAD has no peers. Consider the numbers, look at the chaff:wheat proportions, and then explain why he shouldn't take me up on the dare!

Scott

Reply to
Scott Cramer