scraper help

Recently bought one of the Veritas scrapers. Have not yet bought any sharpener for it. Somebody (about 2 months ago) posted a link to a scraper sharpening procedure. I have been unable to find this via Google and hope the original poster could post this ref again please. Ken, making dust in NS

Reply to
ken

Disregard. Finally found it. Ken in NS

Reply to
ken

kFor Google continuity:

Andrew Barss

An excellent online article is here:

I have several things to add.

Relating to the first group of three photos:

Photo 1 - (upper) Veritas makes a file fence that makes this MUCH easier and faster.

Photo 2 - (lower left) Use a 1.5x1.5" or so block of hardwood jointed to a perfect 90 degree corner when lapping the edge. This will make getting an edge that's 90 degrees to both side much easier. DO NOT lap the thin edge on the face of a waterstone until you really get the hang of it. The extremely thin edge will gouge and damage a waterstone in no time. I've found DMT diamond stones are awesome for this. Lacking these, use the edge of the waterstone until you understand what you're doing.

Photo 3 - (lower right) When lapping the side, a jointer push block used where his fingers are helps make for a nice, even pressure.

I find I can pull 4-5 burrs before going all the way back to the file.

After you get an edge, play, play, play!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .