Scotia sawmill being deconstructed

Jacques Derrida, that's what.

Who himself was today "deconstructed"

Reply to
Andy Dingley

More the spotted owl. One of our companies located in Eureka started seeing the decline as soon as the first ruling in the late 80s'. We sold it and moved on. Since then, virtually all business have suffered significantly in the area. PALCO is just one of a long list of closures.

A federal appeals court shot down a series of timber cuts planned for national forests in the Pacific Northwest yesterday, ruling that regulations ostensibly protecting the spotted owl and other threatened species are "blatantly contradictory to Congress' express demand." -Seattle Post-Intelligencer 7aug04

Dave

Reply to
TeamCasa

SNIP

I have always wondered if you programmer types realize how silly that stuff looks to everyone else. I guess that it should be expected that communicating on a computer based medium would mean that there are a disproportionate percentage of folks in the programming world here, but after the first few thousand times you see that, the humor escapes. As an accountant I usually don't do a lot of debiting or crediting or use a lot of T-accounts in my newsgroup postings, but if I did I expect most of you would find that annoying and silly (not to mention meaningless).

Just a silly pet peeve of mine I guess. ;)

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

protest against Palco Pacific lumber ,lets go to Scotia California and protest for the redwoods

Reply to
sandydjbradford

protest against Palco Pacific lumber ,lets go to Scotia California and protest

Reply to
sandydjbradford

What's the shutdown rationale? Is the sawmill losing money?

Charlie Self "Vote: the instrument and symbol of a freeman's power to make a fool of himself and a wreck of his country." Ambrose Bierce

Reply to
Charlie Self

Spotted owl. Old growth redwoods. They were the major contributors to the shutdown. Great old mill though.

Dave

Reply to
TeamCasa

Dave responds:

So the EPA forces a shutdown and the OP wants to punish Palco?

Jeez.

Charlie Self "Cabbage: A familiar kitchen-garden vegetable about as large and wise as a man's head." Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Reply to
Charlie Self

Well of course, after all corporations only cut trees because they like pillaging the forests -- they could produce wood without cutting down trees if they really wanted to.

Note to the humor-impaired: That was sarcasm.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Well, not to step on your sarcasm, but "pillaging" is the appropriate term for what Hurwitz did when he took over Pacific Lumber.

Do a Google for more info. Here's a quote from one site:

"Local community members fear that Maxxam CEO Charles Hurwitz will take the cash provided by the deal and run, leaving Pacific Lumber--and hundreds of local workers--twisting in the wind. "It seems highly unlikely that any of that money will even stay with Pacific Lumber, much less end up in the pockets of timber or restoration workers, where it truly belongs," observed Bundy. According to some estimates, Maxxam has siphoned $2 billion from the Humboldt County economy since acquiring Pacific Lumber in 1985. PL's debt load is now even greater than it was immediately following the takeover, and many locals fear that Hurwitz will allow PL to slowly go bankrupt."

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I have no doubt that unbridled and rapacious greed exists in some folks like Hurwitz. It is a sad thing when people in such positions fail to account for the effects of their actions upon those in their employment. Don't know what the answer is, but some things are just plain wrong, no matter how they get packaged.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I tend to see red when Hurwitz is mentioned, because he also pillaged Kaiser Aluminum who used to be the biggest employer in our town. I realize he's not the only one. Texas does seem to have more than its fair share, though. Must be all that oil money floating around.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

And before that is was the East and Eastern Midwest with the steel barons. Greedy rapacious vultures seem to tend toward the industries that are growing the fastest and turning money quickly.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita