SCMS or CMS ??????????????

Page 1 of 2
Hi, I'm not sure to invest in a SCMS or just a CMS what would be the pro's and cons. Mikey

Sliders cots more but can cross cut wider. A 10" SCMS can cut about 11 1/2".
CMS are less likely to go out of adjustment since there are fewer parts to move..
If you do a lot of framing or deck building with 2 x 12's, get the slider.

Conversely, if you deal mainly with narrower boards (most of my hardwood comes in 6" widths) I've found my CMS to be quite accurate and easy to deal with. I just use my table saw for anything that is too wide for the CMS, though if you're limited in space, this might not always be an option. I've also found that in rare, limited occasions, crosscutting a board with a width up to 10" is a reasable task for a CMS, provided you can seat the blade in the kerf when you flip the board over.
So, if I mainly do the weekend wodworker type stuff,cabinets and the like my best option would be a 12" CMS and not the 10" SCMS???? Tahnks for the help. Miey
On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 16:03:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.msn.com wrote:

I'd say so, unless you've got the money to spare. Mine is a 10" CMS, so a 12" would probably cut anything up to, say 8" in width without much problem. If you're doing cabinets and things, this is all you're likely to need. And it's obviously great fun to have all the tools you can lay your hands on, so if you find the CMS is inadequate you can always get the slider later on!
One other thing to consider- a SCMS *can* kick back the saw at you, a CMS cannot. I've never had any problems, but I've heard stories of people getting knocked back on their butts. Might be something to consider if you're prone to joint pain (to prevent the kickback you need to apply pressure to the saw to slow it down while it cuts)

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.msn.com wrote in

That's what I chose to do.
The thing to remember is that ANY saw can bite you, so be careful with it, and consider what additional clamping or backboards would help you to make controlled cuts, for whatever project you are taking on.
I like my yellow saw, by the way, anticipating your next question....
Patriarch
I know I'm going to feel real stupid when someone replies to this, but I've been following this thread hoping that it would dawn on me what CMS and SCMS stand for -- no luck I'm afraid :-(
In my professional work, CMS is an abbreviation for Coal Mining Subsidence!!
Malcolm Webb
Malcolm Webb said:

Compound Miter Saw, and Sliding Compound Miter Saw.
Greg G.
Many thanks. I knew I would feel stupid when someone transalted.
Malcolm Webb
Malcolm Webb said:

Well there's stupid, and there's unenlightened. You've just been enlightened.
There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers! ;-)
Greg G.
On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 08:10:10 -0400, Greg G. wrote:

got some word class advice a LONG time ago on my 1st job.. the boss said something like "there are no stupid questions, only people stupid enough to do things without asking questions first"...
I must of told a few hundred people that over the years when i worked in real estate..
Mac
On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 12:37 +0100 (BST), snipped-for-privacy@cix.co.uk (Malcolm Webb) wrote:

a cut off or "chop" saw.. *g*
Mac
I never did dare ask what a chop saw was. Here in the UK words like "chop" and "saw" don't go together. Axes chop, saws cut :-)
Malcolm Webb
Malcolm Webb said:

Aw, whaddya expect from a country where Dado blades are illegal. ;-) If you saw a crew of illegals on a construction site whacking house trim with a CMS - you would understand how the term was coined! ;-)
Greg G.
Well, here in Canada we call it a Mitre saw

I like my DeWalt. It was about $300 for the 13"
Edwin Pawlowski said:

13" ?? - What is this, a game of one-upsmanship?
"Mine's bigger than Yours is..." ;-)
Or is this some product I have never seen. And where on earth do you get 13" blades...
Greg G.
<Greg G.> wrote in message

Hey, I'm always hoping for an extra inch. No, just a typo, should be 12"
Edwin Pawlowski said:

I though as much, but thought I would be sure - lest someone out there was confused (or impressed). ;-)
Greg G.

Mac