SCMS Dust Hoods

I've posted on this topic before -- sorry -- I'm now ready to buid one....

I'm looking for plans to build a dust hood for a sliding compound miter saw (SCMS). I DAGS and found several interesting designs.

One home made version I like can be found at

. Look for the September 17, 2004 entry.

I think I could improve that design with some doors on the front side to make the opening smaller. You'd only open the doors when making angled cuts.

Any other designs or pictures?

Cheers.

Reply to
Never Enough Money

I saw one like that last week at an auction, only it was a smooth hemisphere in the back. That guy had the nicest tools...

Reply to
Toller

What was it made of?

Toller wrote: [snip]

Reply to
Never Enough Money

Make sure you put the saw in all it's positions before you close in the opening too much. You don't want to spend the time building it then have to make changes when you find out that cutting a seldom used compound miter make the saw hit the hood. I had to tweak mine a couple of times before I got it right.

Here is mine on my chop saw.

the hose on the saws dust port. I had to add this to keep the dust from bouncing back out. You can't see it but there is a small spring on the end of the hose connected to the bottom of the hood that keeps the dust pointing toward the bottom of the hood no mater which way you turn the saw. This may not work on a sliding saw.

Reply to
Tom H

Good advice, Tom. I'll take it to heart.

A few questions:

1) Is 100% of the vacuun going through the hose or is there also some inside the box? 2) What's the button looking thing at the top of the box? 3) I noticed you built w> Make sure you put the saw in all it's positions before you close in the

Notice the hose on the saws dust port. I had to add this to keep the dust

Reply to
Never Enough Money