SCMS deal (gloat?)

I went shopping for a SCMS. Most important to me was quality and acuracy price not important for this item. I tried them all, spoke to contractors etc. Decided on the Makita LS1013. Found it at sold at $499 most places. Went to HD to buy some other supplies and guess what.They had the LS1013 on closeout for $378, and I had a 10% off coupon, and it had a rebate for a 14 volt cordless Makita drill/driver with 2 batteries and charger! Bought it.

LS1013 and drill for $341. What do you think?

Reply to
MM

Had one. But it was too hard on my back carrying it around the house to do the trim work. Seriously though, I did have one & sold it because it constantly needed adjustment and it wasn't portable.

This saw's accuracy put the RAS to shame. Of course you can't do somethings that u can on a RAS. You are much more limited on the SCMS, but it does what it is designed to do (trim work) much better than the RAS.

Reply to
MM

Shoulda spent the 350 on a RAS!

[grin]
Reply to
Rumpty

Which RAS are you comparing it to?

Reply to
Frank Nakashima

I had a RAScirca 1960 sold by Montgomery Wards. Can't remember the actual manufacturer, but it was all American made and of better construction than most are made today. But the comments are pretty much true to all RAS's I believe.I have also used a Craftsman RAS (I know, I know) and a Delta. Even the Delta needed frequent adjustments.It's a factor of a steel beam slide assembly, and a SEPARATE wood cutting surface which is designed to be replacable and hence movable.The SCMS is much more solid, and more accurate. A straight (non-slider) miter saw is perhaps the most consistant. But, the main reason for the SCMS is portability. I don't know of ANY RAS that I would want to carry around the job site, and having the saw actually in the room that you're working on that day is an enormous time saver compared with running back and forth to the RAS in the basement or garage for every cut. Remember, we're talking hundreds of cuts here.

Reply to
MM

Somehow Rumpty even I had to smile at your reply.... I bet you even have an attachment to convert your RAS into a screwdriver.. or drill .... LOL

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G

funny I got some old magazines (old I should be careful their about my age). They were doing a review on portable RAS.

Reply to
Young Carpenter

well that was yours. mine is very accurate and reliable tool one of the best I own. it is not top rated for nothing. but it is not a tool to haul around a lot.

Reply to
Steve Knight

Again, you shoulda spent the 350 on a RAS, i.e. DeWalt...

Reply to
Rumpty

Bob,

As a matter of fact I do have a lot of those old "accessories" somewhere in the shop. Don't use them but the are there! I do a lot of moulding/shaping on the DeWalt as well as the regular day to day stuff like precision cutting, miters, ripping...

Reply to
Rumpty

What make and model do you have Steve?

Reply to
Upscale

the 1013. killer saw it has huge amounts of power and is very accurate.

Reply to
Steve Knight