Scheppach TS2500CI

I have just been given a Scheppach TS2500CI for a wedding present. Very generous and the wife loves the fact that I now spend all my time in the garage!!!!
Having spent the requisite 2 days assembling it and some of the tables/ carriages that were also given to me I have come to the exciting part of turning it on. Only problem is that it didn't come with a pour adaptor....Not sure if this is normal but not a problem as I can always buy an adaptor. Problem is that I don't know what to get. There is a blue plug on the machine. Am I gonig to need to install a new 16A cable from my junction box or is it possible to get an adaptor that will convert my normal house ring main......not sure what amps the machine works on as the manual is a bit rubbish.

Incredible! Most of us have had to write Thank Yous for the lovely crystal, sheets, and cheese boards, and you get THIS! You're pulling our legs? Can't help with the power problem other than specs. say its 230V. Unbelievable.

The motor should have displayed on it somewhere the starting amperage it requires. I think. Congratulations! Tom

I suggest contacting the company it was purchased from, Scheppach, or posting on a UK group. Odds are no one here will know.
That said, a 3.5hp motor on 240v will draw about 18a. You will need to have some spare capacity beyond that; so 16a (or an existing circuit) probably aren't adequate.

Um, I make 3.5 hp out to be around 2.625 kW which should draw around 11A at 240V. That is not accounting for starting current. I think around here they would mostly go up to 3-phases for that sort of motor.
cheers, -P.
Somebody wrote:
> That said, a 3.5hp motor on 240v will draw about 18a. You will need to have > some spare capacity beyond that; so 16a (or an existing circuit) probably > aren't adequate.
How true.
You will need at least a 2P-30A c'bkr just to get past the inrush, possibly even a 2P-40A.
You are looking at either #10AWG (30A) or #8AWG (40A) wire.
Anything smaller, you are kidding yourself.
Lew
says...

Um, I make you out to not knowing what you are talking about. Find me a real 3.5hp motor that draws 11a. Anywhere, US, UK, anywhere. (other than Sears that is.)

Just because I've had a cow of a day and I am as pissed off as hell already I decided to follow this up.
So I went to Scheppach's site, and looked at the stats of that machine, just to see WHAT kind of horses we're talking about. Surprise, surprise, they're metric.
Power intake stated at 2.6 kW or 3.5 HP (in brackets) Power output stated at 2 kW or 2.7 HP (in brackets).
Just to be sure. INTAKE: 2.6 kW at 220-240V equals 10.83Amps@240V, 11.8A@220V. Actually it's not going to work that way, cause it won't draw a higher current at 220V, but never mind. Ballpark figure is ~11A.
SURE I don't know what I am talking about, I only worked as a sparky in Germany for a couple of years. I know damn well what kind of a max-load those guys would put on a single phase circuit which is 220V and typically comes with a 16A circuit breaker in Germany.
Yes, starting current I'd expect to be higher than 11A. I expect they'll have a starter fitted to stop it from going over the top. And for higher output they offer a 3 phase motor. 400V, 3.8kW in, 2.9 kW output.
<mutter, mumble> -P.

No, you don't know what you are talking about. It is a (at best) a 2.7hp motor, not a 3.5hp motor. I said to find a "real" 3.5hp motor, not a "input" 3.5hp motor. Go back to Germany.
Toller wrote: ...

Toller, you really _are_ an ass... :(
2.6 kW *1.3410 hp(British)/kW = 3.4866 --> 3.5 hp close enough for rating purposes...

The other moron quoted the manual as saying it was a 2.7hp motor. But you can go on and argue otherwise.

It would help if you switched on your brain and cranked up your reading comprehension before hitting the keyboard. We are/were talking about a Scheppach tablesaw and not some putative 3.5 hp motor of your imagination. Your last sentence however confirms that you are not only stupid, but also rude. I've better things to do than to waste time on the village idiot. *plonk*
-P.
There are elements of truth in both sides of the discussion in another branch of this thread. Maybe some of the misunderstandings can be cleared up - reference this site http://users.goldengate.net/~kbrady/motors.pdf for an explanation of horsepower calculations.
A motor converts electrical energy (watts) to mechanical energy (torque). One horsepower is 33,000 foot-pounds of torque per minute. The basic conversion factor used is 746 watts/horsepower. The unstated assumption about this conversion is 100% conversion efficiency - which is what causes a lot of confusion. Real world induction motors run at around 60% efficiency, universal motors even lower.
So the stated specs from the Scheppach website confirm this (although there is no such thing as "input horsepower" for an electric motor.)
Power input = 2.6 kW (3.5 HP) at 230 V Power output = 2 kW (2.7 HP)
These specs give 11.3 amperes for a 2.7 HP motor, maybe a tad optimistic (77% efficiency) - but hey, this could show superb German engineering.
Easy to remember, approximate values for single phase motors: at 120 volts, 10 amps per horsepower at 240 volts, 5 amps per horsepower
Back to the original question: It's common for this type of machine to ship without a power plug, you supply the one you need, or wire it directly to a shut-off switch. This machine should have a dedicated electrical circuit. In the US, it would run on a 15A circuit, but I would go up to a 20 A circuit to reduce the wire resistance losses and better handle the starting current. You'll have to size the supply circuit using local standards. Consult an electrician.
Sounds like a wonderful present! Have fun making sawdust... -- JeffB remove no.spam. to email