Scary Sharp Question

What would be the highest grit to use for final sanding of chisels and plane irons? I have sand paper from 220 to 4000 but 4000 seems like it could be a bit much. Thanks in advance
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

I go to 2500, but 4000 is such a nice round number...

They're both round numbers. :-)
--

-MIKE-

Here's the original scary sharp post.
http://groups.google.ca/group/rec.woodworking/msg/798769fbc0a3e6a3
Steve LaMantia suggested up to 2000.
If you ask in here, someone will tell you something along the line of 56,000,000 grit. This is fine if you want to spend 20 minutes sharpening one edge. If you would rather spend more time woodworking than sharpening, go to 600 grit and finish up on a piece of MDF covered with polishing compound. Extremely sharp and will take less than 2 minutes if the edge isn't to far gone.

evodawg wrote:

Before I went to Shapton stones, I was going to 2000 grit

Idealy, if you can get a mirror finish you are going far enough. The mirror finish will allow the blade to slip more freely while cutting. Think sharp and less friction.
evodawg wrote:

2000 to 2500 is sufficient or a good mirror finish. Thanks again
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"