Scary Sharp Question

What would be the highest grit to use for final sanding of chisels and plane irons? I have sand paper from 220 to 4000 but 4000 seems like it could be a bit much. Thanks in advance

Reply to
evodawg

I go to 2500, but 4000 is such a nice round number...

RicodJour

Here's the original scary sharp post.

LaMantia suggested up to 2000.

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

If you ask in here, someone will tell you something along the line of

56,000,000 grit. This is fine if you want to spend 20 minutes sharpening one edge. If you would rather spend more time woodworking than sharpening, go to 600 grit and finish up on a piece of MDF covered with polishing compound. Extremely sharp and will take less than 2 minutes if the edge isn't to far gone.
Reply to
CW

Before I went to Shapton stones, I was going to 2000 grit

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

finish will allow the blade to slip more freely while cutting. Think sharp and less friction.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks to all for the input. Found some answers on google too and it seems

2000 to 2500 is sufficient or a good mirror finish. Thanks again
Reply to
evodawg

They're both round numbers. :-)

Reply to