Scarf jointing fascia boards

Fitting a number of new fascias to a new project. Paid extra to get 1" finished thickness softwood & moulding I wanted.
For joints mid run, intend using 45 degree scarf joints (lined up over rafter end) .... should these be glued or left dry ?
Finish will be dark wood stain.
Osprey wrote:

Doesn't make much real difference -- I usually glue if weather suitable mostly for the sealing effect. Same thing essentially w/ simply good job of priming the cut ends. I prefer a longer cut than a 45, but that's just a preference; no real functional reason.
"Osprey" wrote:

45 on 1" material isn't much of a scarf compared to a normal 8:1 or 10:1, I typically see.
Have you thought about adding biscuits to strengthen joint and hold pieces in position?
I'd definitely use glue.
YMMV
Lew

Good idea ... I can go longer than 45 degree ... not sure what compund mitre score will allow ... probabky down to 20 or so.
I did think of biscuits ... when I originally was going to but joint .... are biscuits messy to install on mitre cuts ?
"Osprey" wrote:

Don't gain enough to be bothered IMHO.

Not if you have the tooling.
Lew
"Osprey" wrote

Common practice in this area is to NOT glue scarfed facia joints.
AAMOF, I don't think I've ever seen it done, and would expect that most cornice crews around here would fall off the scaffolding if you asked them to do it. :)
FWIW ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08