Scam Or Real??

Page 1 of 2
Just go the following e-mail. anybody want to bet on whether its a scam or not?
Good day,
We browsed through your web page and we are interested in ordering some of your products,we are located in Thailand,we will like to know if you have the items in stocks,so kindly get back to me with the right contact person email,phone # and confirmation of website so that we can place my order quickly, and i want to know if you have your own personal shipper or can the order be picked up at your store,please advise so that we can proceed by going ahead to place the order.
Regards Mark
On 5/21/2009 10:37 AM sweet sawdust spake thus:

I wouldn't rush to fulfill this order.
No offense to the good people of Thailand, but if it looks like a scam, smells like a scam ...

You think I should spray it with fabreeze before going forward??

sweet sawdust wrote:

If you have a copy of "whois", do a lookup on every IP address in the headers. If you don't have it, post the headers here - it might be an interesting (and educational) exercise...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

[...]
Bingo; that's the IP address you want to do a WHOIS on.

sweet sawdust wrote:

That's all probably going to turn ugly in everybody's news clients, but a quick lookup of 41.210.5.68 (the server from whom Yahoo! got the e-mail) turns out to be a server in Accra-North, Ghana - an unlikely entry point for a message from a "customer" who claimed to be in Australia!
The "X-Originating-IP" may not actually be what you're after.
It takes a little getting used to, but the mystery fades quickly with use. Since you're running Windows (I looked in /your/ headers to see that), you can do a quick Google search on "win32whois" and find a place from which you can download the lookup utility.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

From the above message, try going to http://whatismyip.com/tools/ip-whois-lookup.asp and typing in the IP address you want to look up. In this case I would lookup 98.136.4.51 which is the first IP in the sequence.
You don't need to install anything on your computer. You can do a look up of various things from that website. Check it out for yourself. `Casper
Casper wrote:

Yuppers - there are a number of sites offering look-up via an http (browser) interface. Generally, they've been a PIA for me because of waits for ad servers, lousy response during high traffic, limited number of queries allowed, ad-tracking cookies, etc.
I've come to prefer a direct access to a single-purpose server because I do a lot of lookups, hate waiting, and hate even more needing to clean out ad tracker cookies.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Sorry to hear. I've never had to wait for anything on whatismyip.com.

I understand. I deal everyday with people who get "click" happy and have no idea what they just allowed to their computer. Better to air on the side of caution than to inadvertently allow things access.
I spend most of my time assessing internal and external networking holes, threats, viruses and other security risks. Sometimes it is not possible, or even prudent, to install anything on a client's computer. On these occasions, trusted web tools are very valuable.
I merely wanted to point out for sweet sawdust, that for use a couple of times, it's better to not install unused or rarely used software and add potential for other system problems. Less is best theorem.
`Casper
Welcome to USEnet. Please adjust your reality.
Morris Dovey wrote:

Don't need to have a copy. You can do that right off the web. http://whatismyip.com / `Casper
I would be that next thing is they will want to send a check, it will be for more than the amount but they will ask you to send them back the difference. Your bank will gladly take the check and a week or two later tell you it is no good.

Somebody may. It's still popular. I got one on Craigslist about a tool I was selling, local pick up only. This woman, who spelled her name differently in two emails, wanted to buy te tool "right away," please answer with photos and reason for selling. The ad had two photos in it, and my reason for selling comes under the heading of MYOFB. I let her know it was still for sale. Next, two days later--remember "right away"--I get an email wanting to send a check, have her shipper, etc. SOSDD. Sunday morning, I was at a friend's house to check on his pregnant bulldog and her progress, and we looked at this email from an ebay listing. Guess who showed up, same name first time, exact same wording, same second reply, same name misspelling.

As much as it smells like a scam, I would probably be tempted to follow up on it. Ask 'em what they want, and how they intend to pay. If they want to pick it up in person, well...
Colin
On 5/21/2009 11:54 AM Colin B. spake thus:

That's true. No harm in asking.

I treat each and everyone of these like the real thing. I don't send anything until the money has cleared the local bank and the issuing bank. However much you send over the amount of the invoice I keep as a tip, that is done upfront. I don't add laptops to the orders either.

So far you have nothing to go on, they have requested nothing other than information.

Your right nothing at all, what I am doing is sorta profileing these people from thier letter. I may be wrong and they may turn out to be the best customers I have or ever will have. However If it looks like a snake I treat it like a posinious variety until I know for sure.