Scam Alert

one. We've been getting vehicle warranty phone calls at a fantastic rate, sometimes three or more a day. I finally punched "1" a couple of days ago. Some idiot comes on with "Warranty Sales Department, how can I help you." A native English speaker, at that! Not Limey, or Aussie or SingSong. So I said, "Sure. Explain to me why you clowns keep calling us when we're on the 'do not call" list." He hung up immediately. I should have strung him out a bit. Hell, I've got a '98 Chev S10 pick-up and an '00 Dodge Stratus that could USE some warranty work.

We got a check for $3,850 the other day, with a request that we deposit it, send $1,350 as a payment, so we could claim our xxx bucks winning prize. I've got that here to go to the post office when I get time. It's from a Canadian address.

I always wonder about those penis lengtheners in spam, too. Do they send a brick and a piece of string when you pay? Or nothing?

Charlie, Probably from Warranty Division of Atlanta;

They've called me a few times, but I've only *57'd them twice. After the third time, my phone company says that I can lodge a complaint against 'em. Kerry

Reply to
Kerry Montgomery

This guy just can't quit. This morning's e-mail from the same server in Accra (Ghana):

===== Hi, I am Mr. Joseph Brown. I will like to order 2 of the 180 Watt Lake Lite Solar Panels from your store. I will arrange for my own Shipping which will ship my units to Australia. I will like you to email me asap with the total cost of the units including taxes. I will also like to know the for of payment you accept Waiting

Mr. Joseph Brown. =====

(I don't sell PV panels)

Future posts will be tagged "OT - Humor" :)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

I am think they speaking English in Australia. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Is that what you call it...

Reply to
David G. Nagel

On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 20:22:32 +0100, Charlie Self wrote (in article ):

They sent me a VERY long piece of string and a pair of water skis.....

Reply to
Bored Borg

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 18:29:23 +0100, Morris Dovey wrote (in article ):

The first give away is anyone announcing themselves as "Mr." It's just so.. foreign. I can tolerate the bad engrish but the nasty etiquette is simply unforgivable.

Nayther Prince Albert nor ourself is amused by this unspeakable outrage. Behaviour of this ilk will be the downfall of the Empire, one day. V.R.

Reply to
Bored Borg

You may find it hard to believe, but some people still use and prefer to use the more formal "Mr.". There is nothing nasty about etiquette, only the lack of it. That, sir, is unforgivable.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yes, but someone concerned with etiquette will not be sending unsolicited email attempting to steal money from people.

That is nasty, and the use of the formal "Mr." is indeed a feature of this type of scam.

You may find it hard to believe, but someone who follows etiquette can still be a lying thief bastard who deserves to be tied to an anthill, covered in honey and then executed after he passes out.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 04:57:20 +0100, Dave Balderstone wrote (in article ):

There is nothing wrong with addressing or introducing someone else as "Mr." The bad form is in introducing ones self this way. Perfectly correct would be I am/my name is Smith. " " John Smith " " John. Unforgivably gauche is My name is Mr. John Smith.

My issue was one of propriety, not of formality.

I trust that said person will remember to say "Please," while being tied to the anthill and "Thank you." after the honey is applied.

Reply to
Bored Borg

Try working in academia where everyone introduces themselves as "Dr." this-n-that.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I bet they don't introduce themselves to other doctoral-degreed professors that way, only to those with lesser academic qualifications -- which makes it doubly gauche.

The couple across the street are a chemist and a college professor, both now retired. I believe that, between the two of them, they have at least three doctorate and three masters degrees. They introduce themselves simply as "Gloria" and "Andrew".

Reply to
Doug Miller

My policy was, you don't get called, "Doctor," unless you can save my life. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 19:14:25 +0100, Doug Miller wrote (in article ):

Now that is _class_

--The Reverend Doctor Bored Borg, spilling egg down his tie again.

Reply to
Bored Borg

Indeed.

I am proud to be able to count them among my friends.

Reply to
Doug Miller

It's nice to hear about the size 12 souls in the size 6 egos for a change, instead of always the other way 'round.

I'm sure I'd enjoy meeting your friends.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

If you're ever passing through Indianapolis, let me know. I'll introduce you.

Reply to
Doug Miller

In Germany, it could well be Herr Doktor Doktor Doktor Schmidt.

What is REALLY silly is a lawyer's business card that reads

Helen Dorothy Smith, Esq.

In heraldry, "Esquire" is one rank above "Gentleman." I suppose the broads think they're better than we plebians.

Reply to
HeyBub

From Wickipedia Esquire (abbreviated Esq.) is a term of British origin, originally used to denote social status. Ultimately deriving from the medieval squires who assisted knights, the term came to be used automatically by men of gentle birth. The social rank of Esquire is that above gentleman. More specifically, though, a distinction was made between men of the upper and lower gentry, who were "esquires" and "gentlemen" respectively (between, for example, "Thomas Smith, Esq." and "William Jones, Gent."). Today, however, the term may be appended to the name of any man not possessing a higher title (such as that of knighthood or peerage) or a clerical one. In the United States, however, "esquire" is most commonly assumed by lawyers in a professional capacity and has come to be associated by many Americans solely with the legal profession.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote

Interesting. I always thought the terms scumbag. bloodsucker, parasite and shyster were associated with the legal profession.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I've had the honor of working for/with some very brilliant minds in my industry -- PhD's and those who have the innate knowledge that a PhD would be a waste of their time. I've found that those who are really good are the most humble and personable people to be around. They are good, it's just a part of their being, they don't have to flaunt it. It's some of those who have gotten those credentials and who aren't really that good at what they do that are the most arrogant, irritating and difficult people to work with. They aren't really that good, they kind of sense that and in order to make up for that inadequacy, they tend to make up for lack of ability with bluster and bullying. The first group is a joy to know and work with, the latter, not so much. Sounds like your friends are members of the first group.

There is a third group who are just plain people, regardless of their talents who don't use their abilities as the focus of their being. They are also good people with whom to be associated.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita